To Gas or Not to Gas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodwormm

Reaction score
I just filled three kegs with my first large volume brew.. (amazingly whilst doing this my last keg pouring blew - so good timing!)

2 of the kegs i purged and hooked up to pouring pressure (my carbing technique - should be ready in 3 ish days)

1 of the kegs i just purged and it's just hanging out in the keezer with the others...

at my current consumption rates this batch could last a few months.

Is long term keg storage better just purged, then carb near drinking time? or carbed and stored?

Why don't you bulk prime and naturally carbonate it if you have the time? Saves gas.

If I'm storing a filled keg at ambient temperature I just put in a "token" amount of sugar to give enough CO2 to keep a good seal on the keg to avoid spoilage, say about 6 teaspoons. Then I purge and apply full pressure to seal the lid up hard against the rim of the cornie then put into storage. If you put in too much sugar you generate a lot of yeast that makes mud. The idea is to maintain a seal, not to save gas.

If you naturally prime and don't do the pressure thing, there's the risk that the keg won't seal properly and it will all leak away, with possible ingress of infection.

most of the reason i keg is that i prefer co2 carbed beer to sugar/yeast carbing - to my taste it's a whole different ball game, so it's not really an issue of saving gas or not.

I was just wondering if anyone had a theory on best way to store kegs long term ie carbed or not (with co2) ?

Back