To Cooper's Yeast Users!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gambrinus

Reaction score
Hi to All!!!

My question to australian homebrewers that use Coopers yeast.

What is a max temperature that You used the Coopers yeast?
Here in Israel the weather like to australian weather and I want to know if Cooper's yeast is good for me in summer?

Thank You!

Yeah, I reckon Jazza's on the money with ~20 degrees C. I would rather not go above about 22-23 with this yeast - it has a tendancy to produce some quite fruity flavours at higher temps (ie the infamous "banana" flavours). It is a very temperature resilient yeast though, but you will get more of these sorts of flavours at higher temps. Depends what you are after I guess. I would definitely try and stay around the 20 mark though.

I would not go any higher than 23. Recently I fermented with this yeast at 25C, it produced no banana esters but a bit of alcohol character. Not terribly nice.

as a rule of thumb for ales try to not go above 22/23C anyway, I try to keep temperatures between about 18C and 21C

Gambrinus
Are you talking about yeast cultured from a bottle of Coopers, or a packet of dried yeast that comes with a Coopers kit? The cultured bottle yeast, I try not to go above 18C, but 20 is fine, I think. The dried yeast, I am not sure about, but I think it says up to about 28C on the cans.
All the best
Trent

Gambrinus said:
Hi to All!!!

My question to australian homebrewers that use Coopers yeast.

What is a max temperature that You used the Coopers yeast?
Here in Israel the weather like to australian weather and I want to know if Cooper's yeast is good for me in summer?

Thank You!
[post="94545"][/post]​

Isnt drinking illegal over there?

Trent said:
Gambrinus
Are you talking about yeast cultured from a bottle of Coopers, or a packet of dried yeast that comes with a Coopers kit? The cultured bottle yeast, I try not to go above 18C, but 20 is fine, I think. The dried yeast, I am not sure about, but I think it says up to about 28C on the cans.
All the best
Trent
[post="94626"][/post]​

This is the type of technical reply that just causes confusion.

It's not confusing if he knows that you can culture from a bottle.

DrewCarey82 said:
Trent said:
Gambrinus
All the best
Trent
[post="94626"][/post]​

[post="94642"][/post]​

WTF?? What is confusing about that? Is he culturing from a bottle or using dried yeast? Pretty straightforward I'd have thought...

Shawn.

DrewCarey82 said:
Trent said:
Gambrinus
All the best
Trent
[post="94626"][/post]​

[post="94642"][/post]​

Drew, that is hardly a highly technical answer :eek:

In trying to work out which type of Coopers' yeast Gambrinus is asking about I can only see that Trent was trying to be helpful. The dried kit yeast may well have higher temperature tolerance than the yeast that many Ozzie homebrewers (Kai for one, I would suspect) reculture from bottles of Coopers sparkling or pale.

Having said that, both are ale yeasts, and even with the kit yeast I would be trying to keep the temp down in the lower half of the 20s. It will ferment higher, and the higher temp will give a quicker ferment, but at the risk of unwelcome, possibly cidery flavours.

Drew, I am not an overly technically minded brewer, but some times you need more information to give an informed response.

Isn't drinking illegal over there :blink: ?

Brief non technical answer: No.

In muslim majority states in the Middle East, such as Saudi Arabia and Oman, the situation is somewhat different. I am sure Gambrinus could tell us if there are any restirctions on the sale of non kosher alchohols in Israel, but that might also be a trifle too technical a response :)

awrabest, stu

DrewCarey82 said:
Trent said:
Gambrinus
All the best
Trent
[post="94626"][/post]​

[post="94642"][/post]​

It's what I would have thought the 1st response should say! :unsure:

What borret, shawn and hockadays said :lol:

Sometime I wish the Scots were not quite so loquacious :blink: !

Let's leave DrewCarey82 alone. Let's not hang the thread on it.

Gambrinus, the temperatures the guys are talking about are fermenter temperatures. As you are probably aware, there are ways of dealing with warmer ambient temperatures. Also, the temps they are quoting produce good beer. You can still make drinkable beer if the fermentation is warmer.

Also, the most imortant temperatures are in the first 2-3 days, so plan to brew at the start of a cool break in summer. I have had a decent beer on the Coopers kit yeast that kept 20-21C early but rose to 25C from about day 4. Tasted fine.

I brew the dry yeast @ 18C but would try and keep it below 22C.
I once did the Pale Ale at 24C and it had heaps of banana taste. The banana did subsided after approx 8 weeks in the bottle and it finished up tasting really good.

Good question on whether dry or cultured yeast, Trent.

Who cares if it's illegal to drink alcohol over there. The question was on yeast temps.

Cheers

hockadays said:
It's not confusing if he knows that you can culture from a bottle.
[post="94648"][/post]​

His from Isreal where I doubt the sell coopers and his just got the kit.

Beer bum said:
Who cares if it's illegal to drink alcohol over there. Cheers

[post="94658"][/post]​

I think that we have a beer baron on our hands.

You'd make Homer proud!

Latest posts

Back