Tipping In The Usa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronpetersen

Reaction score
I'm going to Colorado in Oct and will probably spend a fair bit of time in various bars, brewpubs and breweries. What's the etiquette for tipping at these sorts of places if I'm not having a meal?

Minimum $1 per drink. More will get you better service. Less will get you none.

10-15%

Edit: If that is more than a dollar, as bum said - but if you are there for a few and they bill you, than - 10-15%.

I spent 3 months in the US over xmas last year. Etiquette is either a dollar per beer (which gets expensive) or get a tab and then you can just pay 10-20% on your bill at the end depending on how good the service was. Pretty confusing at first but it gets easier.

My previous post is assuming you're paying over the bar per drink. If you're getting billed all at once this figure is sorta okay but don't tip 10% if you're planning on going back...

Here's a guide link

As a pom I'm quite accustomed to tipping, especially taxi drivers and wait staff. Taxis were " keep the change mate" sort of tipping, waiters you leave the money under the plate IF you were impressed by the service. I was quite surprised that there is no tipping in Oz and the first time I tried the "keep the change" thing with a taxi guy (hadn't been in Australia for too long) the guy was offended.

Wow thanks for the post, it's uncovered a whole seam of buried memories for me. Like when in the UK your long distance coach got you safely to the destination all the passengers would drop a few bob in the hat of the driver at the door. Couple of years ago in Wellington I gave all my remaining NZ shekels (about thirty bucks) to the Filipino lady who had been cleaning and changing the sheets in the hotel room. :p

My previous post is assuming you're paying over the bar per drink. If you're getting billed all at once this figure is sorta okay but don't tip 10% if you're planning on going back...

The Scientist and Myself are off to the States soon. Bum are you saying if you buy a beer while standing at the bar and the barman pours it and hands it to you, he is meant to get a tip too?

The Scientist and Myself are off to the States soon. Bum are you saying if you buy a beer while standing at the bar and the barman pours it and hands it to you, he is meant to get a tip too?

yep, if he opens the door for you you slip em a $1

Yep. At a bar the etiquette is they'll give you your change (always in singles) and you leave the tip on the bar. They may not collect it right away.

However, if you're seated in a section let the wait-staff take your order and tip them - you'll be billed like at a restaurnt in this situation so it is easy to work out anyway.

Amazing, I just read that link from Bribie, no wonder Mortie Seinfeld needed a tip calculator.

Forgot to tell you to enjoy the trip, browndog. Don't worry too much about how much tipping costs - just make sure you do it because service staff there get paid nothing. Just think of how much the beers would cost you here and you still won't believe how cheap it is even after tipping.

Amazing, I just read that link from Bribie, no wonder Mortie Seinfeld needed a tip calculator.
It isn't as complicated as that link makes out.

I usually just double the tax then round up to a figure that doesn't make me look like a tightarse. I'd probably give it more thought if I lived there but I don't. I go there on holiday and no-one ever went on holiday thinking they'd save money.

Yes, do not forget!!

I have witnessed a waitress run out of a high class restaurant, chasing after a customer, run up to him screaming, shaking the bill in his face screaming: "What do you call this? What did I do wrong? I have a baby to feed.. etc"

Obviously not me or anyone from our party but tip is the message.

I usually went 10% rounded up, when paying a bill not for a drink over the bar, I am surprised it wasn't me now I have read Bribies link.

Have a good trip BD!

Yes, do not forget!!

I have witnessed a waitress run out of a high class restaurant, chasing after a customer, run up to him screaming, shaking the bill in his face screaming: "What do you call this? What did I do wrong? I have a baby to feed.. etc"

Obviously not me or anyone from our party but tip is the message.

I usually went 10% rounded up, when paying a bill not for a drink over the bar, I am surprised it wasn't me now I have read Bribies link.

Have a good trip BD!

Sierra Navada Beer Camp here we come. I'll make sure we post a couple of pics.

Thanks for all the tips guys (bad pun intended). Sounds like I'd better make sure I have plenty of $1 notes with me.

Couple of years ago in Wellington I gave all my remaining NZ shekels (about thirty bucks) to the Filipino lady who had been cleaning and changing the sheets in the hotel room. :p
:icon_offtopic:
Did you kill her and cover her with Brut?
Cheers
Chris

:icon_offtopic:
Did you kill her and cover her with Brut?
Cheers
Chris

I spray all my cleaning ladies with Brut to confuse the Forensic Examiners.

Hey Browndog that's weird, I woke up this morning and for some reason I thought "I wonder when BrownDog is going to the SN camp"

Probably to do with the new Ipswich Club etc I was wondering if you were still cashing in the prize, but obviously yes. Have a wonderful time, buddy.

If it gets a bit boring you can grab a hire car and it's not too far to duck into San Francisco for a night as well.

B)

When in the states a while back with some mates I found a good up front tip did wonders.
When buying your first drink flick the barstaff a fiver....they will give great service and wont expect a tip on each drink, after a couple throw another fiver,
drinks are cheap, youll save the five on 2 drinks anyway and the staff will look after you real good.
One bar I didnt get the tip to the barmaid before she wandered off and had a hell of a time trying to get served after that.

Back