Tipping Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik

Reaction score
I had the horrible job of tipping half a keg of IPA this week end...
I had a couple of issues. The first was I had a small leak in my keg that used all my gas. The second is I froze my keg...when I re-gassed the beer it tasted like diluted beer. I now know that tipping ya beer that you worked so hard on making delish feels like a waste..
Have you had to do it before..

I had the horrible job of tipping half a keg of IPA this week end...
I had a couple of issues. The first was I had a small leak in my keg that used all my gas. The second is I froze my keg...when I re-gassed the beer it tasted like diluted beer. I now know that tipping ya beer that you worked so hard on making delish feels like a waste..
Have you had to do it before..
feel for ya mate,but you can allways make more,back on the horse amigo..to the brewery!

I've tipped a few bottle gushers. but not much more than that.

I tipped 2 out of three consecutive brews a few months ago, right out the fermenter.
Got lazy with yeast habits and ended up with fusel abominations.
Have since picked up a stir plate and started making slants and starters with instant results.

Never nice to see hard work down the drain, sorry for your loss. Double whammy with gas and beer.

But it probably won't happen again, lesson learnt = beauty of home brewing.

got a beer in the keg ineed to tip now. i got lazy and didnt do a yeast starter for a yeast that sat in the fridge a while and now the beer is rather ordinary. it is drinkable just but id rather tip it and get on with drinking a beer i actually enjoy.

Suck it up, and learn from your mistakes is what I'm going to do...it was a nice brew. I need to make sure I have a brew ready to go at all times.

my first 2 beers was what some would call rancid lol Lucky I drank VB before hand so a kit fermented at 35 deg was some how worse then that haha being true to my word and convincing SWMBO that it was a worth while investment I mixed it with VB to make VB just that bit more undrinkable

only ever had to tip one whole brew.. (possibly infected).. have tipped a few (young) half bottles though..

in fact I said tonight about a questioable batch of which there is a box left of which has been laying about for some time, that if I could drink the bottle without a question, I wouldnt tip the remainder.. it probably doesnt help that my stocks are at an all time low.. I would probably otherwise throw them.. it aint grand but it aint VB iether :rolleyes:

always sad to see one go down the drain prior to a visit to the kydneys

-_-

A mate of mine says "Never tip your homebrew! Just pinch your nose and chug it down!" ... lol, so far I have never needed to decide if I should take that advice.

my first 2 beers was what some would call rancid lol Lucky I drank VB before hand so a kit fermented at 35 deg was some how worse then that haha being true to my word and convincing SWMBO that it was a worth while investment I mixed it with VB to make VB just that bit more undrinkable
wrong on so many levels

I tipped out a whole batch of Bitter the other day.
Pitched my yeast, seemed to be going nicely the day after, and went away for 3 days.
Came back and the rubber band holding on the Gladwrap over the top of the fermenter had snapped and it was open to the elements!
Didn't taste too terrible straight away, so I crash chilled it hoping for some kind of miracle...but it got worse and worse...and on the garden it went!

I brewed a Saison... well the grain bill was anyway...

Accidently used some 3068 instead of the saison yeast I had...

TERRIBLE! its about to go...

When doing kits I ended up tipping out a Bitter when the yeast failed to fire when temperatures began to drop in winter. I'd not thought of temperature control at the time and rue my decision.

Since then I've upped my stubbornness and have only tipped out my beers when there is absolutely no chance of redemption. In the last couple of months I had a CPA clone attempt get some mould in it which I could tast after a day in the fermenter and proceeded to ignore until these nice little green colonies set themselves up on the top of the wort.

Most recently I tried a Pilsner which threw off a tonne of sulfur during ferment. Pretty normal so I'd bottled it and after a few taste-tests noticed a distinct sour note coming through. I've kept it for a couple of months now and the sourness is still as prominent as ever, I was kidding myself that I could pass it off as a Plzen Lambic :lol: . But down the drain that one goes.

When I first started I tipped countless brews... I was a uni student back then and would drink almost anything but when bottles started exploding I would tip the whole batch. I put on my full motorbike gear while emptying just in case one exploded in my face! My house mate had a close call when in the "beer room" with a shard hitting him in the ear when a bottle exploded. I then moved to kegs and better sanitation. I've frozen a couple of kegs before I got my temp controller but the beer seemed ok still after defrosting.

Back