Tin mods

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clickeral

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Put the below down on Sunday, just after some feedback

Coopers Ipa can
1kg Dark DME
1kg of Golden promise steeped

SG of about 1050 at 24L ish

Came out really dark and hoppy haven't added more hops

Just using the coopers yeast, potentially pitched it when the brew was a little warm but oh well

Its fermenting in a cold garage and will probably rack it off into a 2nd fermentor later on

The Golden promise was already crushed so I steeped it in about 2-3L of hot water 68C for about an hour wasnt really after extra gravity points from it.

Thoughts comments?

First time using Dark DME, and didn't think the IPA would be as dark as it was haha

Cheers All

Golden Promise is a base malt and 68 is smack in the middle of mashing range. Technically speaking, you did a mini-mash. You should have gotten substantial points from the malt, which is a good thing, because steeped.GP would not add much.

clickeral said:
* Its fermenting in a cold garage and will probably rack it off into a 2nd fermentor later on

* The Golden promise was already crushed so I steeped it in about 2-3L of hot water 68C for about an hour wasnt really after extra gravity points from it.

* Thoughts comments?
1) No need to rack it. Secondaries are really only necessary for bulk aging things like RISs and barleywines. All it does for lesser beers is increase your risk of oxygenation and infection.

2) As already stated, you didn't steep, you mashed that grain! FYI Golden Promise won't really give you anything if truly steeped as per a specialty malt (like crystal, etc.).

Oh and the darkness of your wort came from the fact that you used dark DME! If you want more of an traditional IPA colour then go for light DME (or even amber at a stretch)

goatchop41 said:
1) No need to rack it. Secondaries are really only necessary for bulk aging things like RISs and barleywines. All it does for lesser beers is increase your risk of oxygenation and infection.

2) As already stated, you didn't steep, you mashed that grain! FYI Golden Promise won't really give you anything if truly steeped as per a specialty malt (like crystal, etc.).

Oh and the darkness of your wort came from the fact that you used dark DME! If you want more of an traditional IPA colour then go for light DME (or even amber at a stretch)

yankinoz said:
Golden Promise is a base malt and 68 is smack in the middle of mashing range. Technically speaking, you did a mini-mash. You should have gotten substantial points from the malt, which is a good thing, because steeped.GP would not add much.
Yeah I was just using what I had on hand at the time, the Golden promise was more to reduce the bitterness of the Ipa and to use up old Grain, I didn't really class it as a mini mash as I didn't care to much about converting sugar and temp wise it was down to about 45-50C when I transferred it over

I will be bottling this batch so trying to reduce yeast sediment in my bottles, may look at getting a filter setup then

Ummm The Dark DME was just what I had on hand and didn't want to use dextrose in the brew

Will see how it turns out, thank you to all who replied so far :)

Back