Timothy Taylor Yeast?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems there is a yeast called the tadcaster yeast, that could be quite similar
K

Hi Kirem,

What leads you to believing that Tadcaster yeast is going to be similar to TT's in house yeast?
Great if it is & I'd be interested in some as well... :)
I had been leaning towards using London III.

cheers Ross

Count me in if you do a bulk buy Kirem.

Cheers.

I am going to let the tadcaster avenue go. I went down this path after reading a comment from the beer hunter;

Timothy Taylor's has been using the same yeast for at least 30 years. It is a hybrid of the John Smith's and former Oldham Brewery yeasts, and Mr. Hey reckons it produces a beer with a "polished" clarity, firm "mouth-feel" and quenching finish. Open fermenters are used, too.

A Hydrid makes interesting discussion.

I simply asked Wyeast if they had a yeast sourced from Timothy Taylor Landlord and what ya know they said they did.

Just waiting on an return email on how to order and what quantity.

K

You might get a shock as to how much it might cost.
For example, it costs 82 to get a yeast from the NCYC in Norwich.

Sounds interesting but be prepared for a less than co-operative yeast. Most of the Yorkshire Square yeasts are tempremental things - even more so outside a Yorkshire Square system. I know of one commercial micro-brewer in the south of England who struggled for years trying to brew decent beer with yeast from his favourite Yorkshire brewery, and his beer was mediocre to poor till he finally gave up and adopted a more user-friendly strain.

Bringing in yeast is not for the faint hearted. More than happy to assist with buys and bring thru specialty strains if the minimum order is met. I'd not recommend doing it yourself ....

For the Squares, the fella's use floculant yeast and will rouse with at times an extra addition of oxygen. This is a programmed step, I cant remember what Simon mentioned was the program when he worked for Bass, but it likely would have been every 6 - 12 hours.

Also, these floculant yeasts are pretty O2 hungry, as per the rouse and aeration. Bass in Sheffelid had at the bottom of the square a large paddle system and the reported effect was quite dramatic into kicking the yeast into action.

The greatest thing about these yeasts is the top cropping nature. The crop is an effective means of stopping crap (insects etc) getting into the wort but also is a means of self-selection, at about 1.018 the merrange is perfect for skimming for the next batch. The yeast that floc's is the dead and unhealthier of the batch and should be left behind.

With this, cylindroconicals or uni-tanks are therefore redundant. These tanks make it near impossible to get acess to the crop and pulling yeast from the cone makes for a mix of the good, bad and ugly. If your making Ales then the eternal question is why you would consider using them!

Yes, I aint much the cylindro fan...

Scotty

For the Squares, the fella's use floculant yeast and will rouse with at times an extra addition of oxygen. This is a programmed step, I cant remember what Simon mentioned was the program when he worked for Bass, but it likely would have been every 6 - 12 hours.

Also, these floculant yeasts are pretty O2 hungry, as per the rouse and aeration. Bass in Sheffelid had at the bottom of the square a large paddle system and the reported effect was quite dramatic into kicking the yeast into action.

Sounds pretty similar to the procedure I have to use with Ringwood yeast. After the first 24 hours of vigorous fermentation I rouse the carboys thrice daily otherwise it just floccs out and goes to sleep.

I just put the glass carboy on a milk crate on an axis and just gently swirl for around 5 minutes. As stated I do this around 3 times a day for about 5 days. This gets the beer down to terminal gravity.

Worth the effort as the Ringwood yeast produces lovely beers. Also I work from home so I can keep a pretty good idea on my fermentations. :)

Thanks for the good article Scotty. ;)

Warren -

[/quote]

Sounds pretty similar to the procedure I have to use with Ringwood yeast. After the first 24 hours of vigorous fermentation I rouse the carboys thrice daily otherwise it just floccs out and goes to sleep.

I just put the glass carboy on a milk crate on an axis and just gently swirl for around 5 minutes. As stated I do this around 3 times a day for about 5 days. This gets the beer down to terminal gravity.

Worth the effort as the Ringwood yeast produces lovely beers. Also I work from home so I can keep a pretty good idea on my fermentations. :)

Thanks for the good article Scotty. ;)

Warren -
[/quote]

Ringwood is one of my fav yeasts to use at home and I have not had much of an issue. I make sure that i get alot of air into the beer proir to pitching and have always had a great merrange on the yeast.

But, it is again terribly hungry for O2 and the usage information confirms the increased efficiency with rousing and dropping / aeration. I once heard of a NZ brewer that set-up a fountain to pump the beer up and splashing back for the initial parts of the ferment.

I had attenuation issues for a while at home prior to doing this, so Simon had me aerate the wort for the first 24 hours on sucessive batches and this solved the issue.

The slippery slope though is too much oxygen and not enough yeast. Underpitching and too much O2 can cause diacetyl production in abundance as I found out on the first batch of blonde. We also got the Hops wrong (too much) and the diacetyl and bitterness gave to a few of the punters a toffee or burnt profile.

Scotty

I ordered 6 bottles of TT landlord on the weekend and will try to culture them up on slopes at work. I know they pasteurise the bottles, but like I have previously said, I have had success culturing up from 'pasteurised bottles' in the past. The problem then becomes if the yeast are mutants that survived the pasteurising I am making a selection based on this and not necessarily for their brewing qualities.

I am a huge fan of open fermenting and it wouldn't be hard to setup a sparging setup to rouse the yeast and at the same time give them a dose of O2

I use a great deal of aeration to culture up yeasts for wine ferments at work, in fact I use quite a bit of aeration during some red wine ferments.

K

Heya

There is movement at the station. Need to speak to Kirk, but in the interim Wyeast will be adding a Yorksire strain likened to be TT to the VSS release in Jan due to the AHB demand and interest in XL pakcs. In the interim it will still be delivered.

Theres some possitive feedback for the AHB members, you ask and it will be delivered. Good to see Wyeast are listening to the market.

Scotty

Heya

There is movement at the station. Need to speak to Kirk, but in the interim Wyeast will be adding a Yorksire strain likened to be TT to the VSS release in Jan due to the AHB demand and interest in XL pakcs. In the interim it will still be delivered.

Theres some possitive feedback for the AHB members, you ask and it will be delivered. Good to see Wyeast are listening to the market.

Scotty

Sounds very promising Scotty. :beerbang:

Definitely going to be TT? Would be nice to get some Sam Smith's liquid butterscotch as well. :lol:

Wouldn't mind doing a Nut Brown Ale or Old Brewery Bitter approximation. :super:

Warren -

I spoke with Scotty from NNL yesterday.

With his help, I am going to bring in a few liters of this strain and then split it up into 100mL lots.

I have briefly spoken to our microbiologists at work and they are willing to help me with this.

I am not sure of the details on packaging and the storgae media yet. I only really wanted their commitment to help me and we can sort out the deatils after I get back from my Junket to the center.

I basically want to package it up into sterile tubes with sterile media.

Not sure on price yet, I am just looking to cover any costs.

anyone want in?

Can one of the mods or admins move this thread to the appropriate area now please?

Kirk

Unless it gets rediculously expensive I would be interested in grabbing some of this. Always looking for a new strain and if its a specially imported one then why not indeed :)

Unless it gets rediculously expensive I would be interested in grabbing some of this. Always looking for a new strain and if its a specially imported one then why not indeed :)

Ditto

Batz

Ditto for me too and GL may even be interested considering its his favourite beer

Latest posts

Back