Timothy Taylor Landlord Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone have a recipe for Timothy Taylor Landlord Ale.
Been told taht it is all Golden Promise Malt.

But need alcohol %
Yeast type, IBU's and what hops.

Thanks in advance...

just found out hops are Fuggles 1st addition, EKG second addition and styrian Goldings third edition.

20 - 40 IBU's but dont know the yeast .

GMK said:
Hi

Does anyone have a recipe for Timothy Taylor Landlord Ale.
Been told taht it is all Golden Promise Malt.

But need alcohol %
Yeast type, IBU's and what hops.

Thanks in advance...
[post="64077"][/post]​

Hi Ken,
According to my info Golden Promise is the go with some British crystal and some Belgian Aromatic.
Alc BV 4.4%
IBU 33
Fuggles and Ekg for bittering
EKG flavour addition
Styrian Golding for Aroma
Yeast WY 1028 London Ale

Hope this helps - sounds like a nice drop!
Cheers

Ken,
I believe Melanoidan is a substitute for Belgian Aromatic.
Cheers

Hi Dicko,
Where did you get the ABV from?
I know the bottled product is only 4.1%, as I've had a few.
This makes it a bit more of a challenge for GMK.

A lovely beer and one of my all-time favourites.

Rgds,
Pete

GMK, here is recipe from BYOBRAAH.

For 80% efficiency and 23 litres

OG 1042
IBU35
FG 1009
Colour 10EBC/6 SRM
ABV 4.4%

4.28kg Golden Promise
39g Styrian Goldings (90 minutes)
32g Fuggles (90 minutes)
15g Goldings (15 minutes)

1028, 1275 0r any similar English Ale yeast.

You would have to adjust according to efficiency and AA% of your hops.

C&B
TDA

THE DRUNK ARAB said:
GMK, here is recipe from BYOBRAAH.

For 80% efficiency and 23 litres

OG 1042
IBU35
FG 1009
Colour 10EBC/6 SRM
ABV 4.4%

4.28kg Golden Promise
39g Styrian Goldings (90 minutes)
32g Fuggles (90 minutes)
15g Goldings (15 minutes)

1028, 1275 0r any similar English Ale yeast.

You would have to adjust according to efficiency and AA% of your hops.

C&B
TDA
[post="64115"][/post]​

At one stage here in Adelaide at the Floccs one of the more affluent brewers brought along a bottle of very fresh TTL and it really did live up to all the praise.

It has a far more complex flavour than you would ecpect from just GP on its own [not saying that here is anything else mind you].

Speculation ::::::::::::::::::::::

Take 2 litres of first runnings and boil them down to 1 litre and add them into the boil -- do it with 4 if you have a large enough pot to boil it down

Stick with the hops as TDA has indicated but don't go too high because it is malt balanced.

As for yeast WLP 005 would work well.

Steve.

Taylor's beers, Landlord in particular, behave completely unlike any other beer in the cellar (undergoing an extraordinarily vigorous secondary fermentation in the cask) and require very different handling. This would lead me to believe that Taylors have their own unique yeast strain contributing much of their distinctive flavour, and their website backs this up.

Taylor's website confirms that they use 100% Golden Promise malt. (Presumably from Fawcetts). Taylors colour their dark beers with caramel. I'd be very suprised if they use any character malts at all, and certainly not nasty foreign imports like Belgian Aromatic - the colour of Landlord is consistent with straight Pale Ale Malt. Apparently they do use a little crystal & amber, but I would think that would go mostly in Best Bitter (& Porter), rather than Golden Best & Landlord.

I've never consumed much Landlord in the bottle, but the real version (of which I have consumed considerable quantities) is distinctly hoppy, without being identifiable as any one particular character hop. Taylors website says "The traditional varieties have remained unchanged for over 70 years to produce classic aromas on the beers - as beer used to taste.", which (if true) would seem to rule out Styrian Goldings. The website confirms that the last addition of hops is in the hop-back with the hot wort dropped on top (a favorite method amongst the more traditional old family breweries). Landlord is definitely not dry hopped (it would be very messy in the cellar if it was).

FWIW, the cask version has an OG of 1042 and an ABV of 4.3% (though it always gives an impression of being stronger than that). The cask beer is primed with sugar.

You can be sure they use the absolute best quality everything - they can afford to (their beers are always top quality but notoriously expensive).

Hi Peter Wadey,
All the info in my above post came from "beer captured"
For a HB recipe it is probably pretty close.

Hi Sean,
The cask beer you describe sounds fantastic but probably difficult to reproduce a genuine sample at home due to secret yeasts/ingredients, cask equipment etc.

GMK,
Let us know how it all goes,

Cheers

mmmm poor old ken. looks like more research to produce this no doubt great drop of beer.good luck ken keep all informed how you get on.
when in perth next month i will see if the international beer shop has it in stock so i can sample it.
unfortunately it will not be as fresh as sean has sampled but at least i may get an idea as to what you are chasing.

cheers
big d

dicko said:
Hi Peter Wadey,
For a HB recipe it is probably pretty close.

Hi Sean,
The cask beer you describe sounds fantastic but probably difficult to reproduce a genuine sample at home due to secret yeasts/ingredients, cask equipment etc.

GMK,
Let us know how it all goes,

Cheers
[post="64152"][/post]​
I'm sure there are lots of commercial brewers who would love to reproduce Landlord - after all, it's won Champion Beer of Britain no less than four times and is a consistent good seller despite its high price. (And, having tasted a sample from the cask that won in 1999, I can assure you it was a well deserved and clear winner.)

I realise this doesn't help Ken, but ..

I had a bottle of this recently, and didn't realise till i got it home that it was 2 weeks past it's "best by" date.

It tasted incredibly fresh and hoppy with loads of aroma. A fantastic beer, whatever the recipe.

Post back here with your results Ken, as I'd be interested to brew this also one day.

ok - brewed it today....

went for a double batch here is what i used - set promash at 65%
9.6kg Golden Promise
200 melanoidan
100 british Crystal 300ebc
200 Cara Munich
Single infusion at 66-67 degrees C

Hops:
MH 40gms Styrian Goldings
boil for 90 mins with 50 gms of Fuggles and 50 gms of Styrian
15mins from end of boil added 1 tab of whirlfloc/irish moss and 20gms of EKG

Fly sparged 52 odd lts into the kettle at 1045.
Last runnings 1020.
After boil - 33 ltrs at 1065 in the fermenter - added 14 ltrs of water to get it upto 47 ltrs at 1045 with 35 IBU's.

Tasted really nice in the fermenter.
Pitched 1968 yeast starter - will let u know how i go.

Found a web site interview taht micheal Jackdon - beer hunter- did with the brewer - hetalked of three hop additions - in order-
1- fuggles
2- styrian
3- EKG

So went that way.
Any one wants the promash recipe just pm me and i will email it...

Sean said:
FWIW, the cask version has an OG of 1042 and an ABV of 4.3% (though it always gives an impression of being stronger than that). The cask beer is primed with sugar.

You can be sure they use the absolute best quality everything - they can afford to (their beers are always top quality but notoriously expensive).
[post="64144"][/post]​

That is one thing I love about Landlord, the consistancy. I've never seen it sold anywhere that didnt keep their beer in top quality. That said I've generally only tried it at well known real ale pubs, or festivals.

Ok - here are some pics from the Brew Day.
AG_Setup.JPG
AG Setup
in_kettle.JPG
52 Ltrs approx sparged into the Kettle.
Brew_Boys.JPG

Brew Boys...
Left to Right
Ross, Tony (First All Grain Brew), my Daughter Megan ( Beer Goddess in Waiting)
GMK rugged up as i was coming down with the flu on the day and David.

kook said:
Sean said:

[post="64144"][/post]​

That is one thing I love about Landlord, the consistancy. I've never seen it sold anywhere that didnt keep their beer in top quality. That said I've generally only tried it at well known real ale pubs, or festivals.
[post="64248"][/post]​
It's a pretty safe bet just about anywhere - pubs that bother with it, but serve it badly are few & far between.

Ken, I have a Landlord(ish) beer - from the Beer Captured source material, roughly - waiting to be bottled.

We will have to organise a tasting session in a little while :)

Dicko wrote:
Ahhh!
Dicko, I think I've been there!
From memory the gravities are for the HB recipes provided, not the actual beers. Something for future reference.

All the best,
Pete

How did this turn out GMK...?
any thoughts or changes you would make to the recipe.?
this will probably be my next brew after the weekends amarillo APA.
would love to know how it turned out for you.

Cheers
KoNG

Ok - I had 2 recipes - one with all Golden Promise and one that had
95 % Golden promise
2 % melaniodan...
1% Crystal 150
2% CaraMunich
Hops Styrian, Fuggles, Styrian and EKG to 35 IBUs

After trying the original and comparing it to mine - before the infection showed up - took 5-6 months.
It was not that close.

Next i will do all Golden Promise.

Hope This Helps

Back