Timmy Taylor's Landlord Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshAsh

Reaction score
I wanted to have a go at this. A Yorkshireman tells me it's a session beer, but it's 9 bucks a tallie at Dan Murphy's - I can really only afford to drink one at a time.

There's a lot of recipes around but I'm not sure which are the best - I've heard having it come out too pale is a problem..

Are there any Timmy Taylor jedi masters in the house ?

here's what i did. was perhaps a touch paler but I dont care. 23l in the kettle. Get the Wyeast West Yorkshire yeast too (1469 I think)

4kg

[SIZE=medium]Golden Promise[/SIZE]

1.5/L

[SIZE=medium]Fuggle[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]60min[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]4.2 AA[/SIZE]

1/L

[SIZE=medium]Golding[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]15 min[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]8 AA[/SIZE]

5g

[SIZE=medium]5g Irish Moss[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]15 min[/SIZE]

1.5/L

[SIZE=medium]Styrian Goldings[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]0 min[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Mash gravity[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.040[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Original Gravity[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.046[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Final Gravity[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1.010[/SIZE]

ticinglese said:
here's what i did. was perhaps a touch paler but I dont care. 23l in the kettle. Get the Wyeast West Yorkshire yeast too (1469 I think)

4kg [SIZE=medium]Golden Promise[/SIZE] 1.5/L [SIZE=medium]Fuggle[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]60min[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]4.2 AA[/SIZE] 1/L [SIZE=medium]Golding[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]15 min[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]8 AA[/SIZE] 5g [SIZE=medium]5g Irish Moss[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]15 min[/SIZE] 1.5/L [SIZE=medium]Styrian Goldings[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]0 min[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Mash gravity[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]1.040[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Original Gravity[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]1.046[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]Final Gravity[/SIZE] [SIZE=medium]1.010[/SIZE]
Since you didn't add a touch of caramel malts, did you caramalise some first runnings?

Have made landlord tributes before with all GP and some caramelised runnings. Great beer but still pale - next time I will try an extended boil instead.
I used dr smurto's hop schedule but ticinglese's looks good. Hard to clone as bottled is different from cask and even bottles differ from each other but you should make a great beer with the above recipe and maybe some water treatment.

Timothy Taylor are in the same town as Thomas Fawcett who do the floor malted Golden Promise. There's a theory that TT get their malt kilned to their own specs which are different to what you would buy from the likes of CraftBrewer. I reckon a good colouring malt would be Simpsons Heritage Crystal which is Maris Otter, but probably a good "adjuster".

I've been mucking around with Bombardier and Irish Reds and other ales from the Old Dart, yes I must get back to my roots and have another go at the TTL. My bag of Calcium Chloride is feeling neglected lately.

Bribie G said:
I reckon a good colouring malt would be Simpsons Heritage Crystal which is Maris Otter, but probably a good "adjuster".
It's a pity it's no longer available in Australia.

Still got some about 7 months old, didn't realise it was discontinued.

What would the lowest IBU be to keep it balanced for the bitterness pussies out there?

Depends on the FG, balance bittering against the FG of the beer.

Have a look at the Sweetness Bitterness Value Formula. For this style the Balance Value mid point is 1.5

From Graham Wheelers Book "Brew Your Own British Real Ale" TTL recipe OG = 1.042 and IBU 35 this is almost spot on if you use a Yeast like S-04 and achieve 69% attenuation giving an FG of 1.013

Screwy

Just dug out an old ESB recipe from my collection, which reads as follows:

97% MO
3% Crystal

60 mins - Fuggles - 18 IBU
20 mins - EKG - 10 IBU
Flameout - Styrian Goldings - 1.5g/L

90 mins at 65c
Decoct to mash-out

This was obviously ~28IBU in the software, but no-chill it came at more around 32-34ish (objectively). I was thinking of doing something similar, perhaps with S-04 (as I've never tried it) and aim for 28IBU final (so the blokes will give it a go). I can handle 35 IBU no worries in an ESB, makes it soooo quaffable. Anyway, this recipe was pretty awesome and very reminiscent of most Landlords, but I can't say it's a clone for any in particular.

Heritage crystal still available from craftbrewer

doon said:
Heritage crystal still available from craftbrewer
As long as you class 'Currently Not Available' as still being available...

heritage no longer available???

Pretty sure I'm getting some in the Melbourne bulk buy - I'll be sad if the above is true. Love that malt.

i have made dr smurtos landlord and had a side by side with a bottle from dan murphys.
same marmalade and grapefruit only mine was fresher.
i think it's an excellent clone.

Maybe its the grain version of citra/amarillo?

Latest posts

Back