Time to Move to Gas? Converting my RIMS Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Econwatson

Reaction score
Hi All,

I had been brewing with a RIMS build which used a 3KW element which was designed for immersion heaters.

While powerful, it would always seem to burn out the wires (probably due to my wiring skills). I was planning on resurrecting it after another burn-out but just snapped one of the terminals off the element and it looks (ehrm) terminal for the element. So I'm taking it as a sign, should I switch to gas?

I love cooking with gas due to the instant heat and control it provides and imagine it would provide similar benefits to me when brewing. Are there any recommended gas set-ups to get me started? The only issue I can see is I will need to keep my element in the brewery (for now at least) to plug the hole in the pot where it goes in, but I'm sure that can be fixed with a more elegant solution in the future.

If you still reckon electric is the go I'd also like to hear the arguments : ) Could I use an over-the-side element instead? :)

Any advice on what to look out for and how to get started would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

If it's not running on a 15A circuit, it's max power draw exceeds 10A and will burn something or just trip the switch.

Nothing to worry about. Just power, fire and lives. Very simple Mathematics. Power - Current X Voltage

Back