Time For A "welcome To Ahb" Forum.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If people don't want to help someone they shouldn't comment in a thread at all...

...Why not, if you want to suggest searching in a thread at least include a link or two yourself to show it can be done and to also be helpful to boot.
It really shits me when I see people simply post "use the search". A decent poster will say that a search provided these links etc.

It gives off such a negatvie and unwelcoming impression. And the search is pretty hopeless. I've had some troubles in the past trying to locate some of my own threads. Nonetheless it can be done and simply providing a link or two goes a long way.

I don't think it should be too much about making information easier to find (although any improvements would be welcome), but rather making the site more welcoming to new members. Unfortunately not much can be done on the level of forum posters, I think a welcome page would be a good start.

What about making new users read a FAQ as part of the registration process. It wouldn't have to be long, just a few of the really commonly asked questions and perhaps a checkbox next to each so that new users have to at least say that they've read it.

I know this could be seen as a turn off for encouraging new forum members, but if someone can't be bothered to read a basic FAQ, perhaps they aren't that interested in learning anyway.

Yeah there is a bit of an issue with some older posters who think they are god's gift to homebrewing on the internet.

I'm pretty sure these legends of the internet would only be happy if all the main brewing forums were locked so you could only post new recipes and organise doomed-to-fail bulk buys. :p

I recommended this site to 2 new brewers who had lots of new brewer questions. Both were shot down by these forum superstars with snarky comments because their questions had been answered sometime since this site's inception. The problem was that for these particular problems they didn't know the right brewing terms to search effectively. They quickly lost interest and now call me with their questions instead.

I was thinking of starting a "Questions not worth their own thread" thread so new brewers, or even more experienced brewers, could ask questions that may not warrant much discussion. Help my ferment is stuck at 1018, what hops for X type of beer etc. This way the holy ones wouldn't have to dirty their eyes with the questions the rest of us commoners may ask. The problem is there is no way to guarantee that new posters would post their questions in that thread, I notice often extract/kit questions are asked in the AG and Beginners AG forum a lot.

Geeze, "gods gift to homebrewing", "legends of the internet". "forum superstars", "holy ones"........
You certainly layed into them :)

stagga.

edit....whoever they are.

It really shits me when I see people simply post "use the search". A decent poster will say that a search provided these links etc.

I would like to think that I've offered a reasonable amount of advice to new brewers over the years but 'God helps those who help themselves' if you get my drift?
Way back when I first joined this forum I just gleaned, saved, & implemented the information I found here for a long time before I posted my first question & yes, I used the search function that was without the advantage of the Google addition that we are lucky enough to have these days.'
I suppose I'm saying that as with everything in life you can't expect everything handed to you on a plate. Nothing in - Nothing out' as a famous Aussie Olympic distance swimmer was fond of saying. :)
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION & WIKIS & if they don't work for you then GOOGLE it & when you run out of options, then ask on the forum.
The search function is not without it's limitations but as a previous poster said, clicking 'More Search Options' will go a long way to finding an answer to your question.
Think of the server space Dane would have saved if all these previously answered questions hadn't been posted over & over again ad infinitum. :D

TP

I tend to think of this place as a bit like a club ... or heaven forbid, a pub.

If I walked into a pub and asked for a beer and the barman said "Get it yourself you knobknocker" ... after helping myself to several pints i'd piss off and probably wouldn't come back.

Ok, you pay in a pub, etc, etc, but the point is you often judge places on the people you find there.

I've asked lots of stupid questions, particularly when I first got here, was desperate to find out the answer before the world suddenly ended and a couple of searches hadn't worked.

Some very kind people responded without patronising me too much, and now several months later my beer's still shit but at least I can pretend here that it's not I have learnt better how to use the resources.

If there wasn't a bit of help in the first place, i'd have fucked off and taken up quilting instead... incidentally what do you think? :beerbang:

il_fullxfull.125010201.jpg

I tend to think of this place as a bit like a club ... or heaven forbid, a pub.

If I walked into a pub and asked for a beer and the barman said "Get it yourself you knobknocker" ... after helping myself to several pints i'd piss off and probably wouldn't come back.

Ok, you pay in a pub, etc, etc, but the point is you often judge places on the people you find there.

I've asked lots of stupid questions, particularly when I first got here, was desperate to find out the answer before the world suddenly ended and a couple of searches hadn't worked.

Some very kind people responded without patronising me too much, and now several months later my beer's still shit but at least I can pretend here that it's not I have learnt better how to use the resources.

If there wasn't a bit of help in the first place, i'd have fucked off and taken up quilting instead... incidentally what do you think? :beerbang:

il_fullxfull.125010201.jpg

Yes, its a lovely quilt, but right now I`m more concerned with this Newbie Revolt. There hasn`t been an uprising like this since.....since... well since 2 weeks ago.
They`re playing up like wounded japs. Call out The Guard.

stagga.

... I`m more concerned with this Newbie Revolt. There hasn`t been an uprising like this since.....since... well since 2 weeks ago.
They`re playing up like wounded japs. Call out The Guard.

stagga.

Your right as always Stagga... Thinkin' its time for some stern gruffing, eyebrow lifting and scornful stares at the computer screen. Besides I think we all need to HTFU!!! This is a beer forum full of blokes who brew beer and occasional get hammered and post crap on a beer forum. It ain't a tea party forum is it?

HTFUPoliceBanner.jpg

Your right as always Stagga... Thinkin' its time for some stern gruffing, eyebrow lifting and scornful stares at the computer screen. Besides I think we all need to HTFU!!! This is a beer forum full of blokes who brew beer and occasional get hammered and post crap on a beer forum. It ain't a tea party forum is it?

HTFUPoliceBanner.jpg
May be instead of those gay barrels we should have balls , so when all the girly boy noob's get a set then they can post. :lol:
Internet old fart
GB

HTFUPoliceBanner.jpg

The absolute farkin best yet....................... You are back..................... and in form Chap Chap
t.gif

Actually, it`s like a rest home here after Grumpies infamous beer forum......the kick `em in the balls, eye gougin throat cuttin great old times. Some poor bastards even got mugged on their first post, but all survived to realise just how unique it was in it`s own way.
On another note, I just ordered one of Shed 101`s quilts.

stagga.

Actually, it`s like a rest home here after Grumpies infamous beer forum......the kick `em in the balls, eye gougin throat cuttin great old times. Some poor bastards even got mugged on their first post, but all survived to realise just how unique it was in it`s own way.
On another note, I just ordered one of Shed 101`s quilts.

stagga.

oh, yeah ... i forgot to show you the flip-side. My favourite beer :beer:

il_fullxfull.125010891.jpg

Guys,

Ive joined here quite a while ago and have lurked consistently for the last few years only dropping in when I have the time or the need for knowledge. In hindsight this is probably a bit selfish. I started with the Grumpy's Forum ten years ago one of the reason I started coming here and not there, (as with many people i think), was the pompous and rude replies that would be submitted.

I agree with others - its a pain to reread all the same questions over and over, but that does not give us the right to bludgeon the poor bugger who answered the question. Todays amateur could be tomorrows teacher!

I think this site is definitely under-moderated and sadly there are to many people who think the larger the post count the better the brewer. Think Again.

I am not against a ceiling for posts. eg Once it gets to 500 then it max's out. This will stop stupid and ignorant posts..... hopefully.

Viva Revolution

Latest posts

Back