Tilt owners you happy with it ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewfather works on anything. I use it on my pc my android phone and I 'borrowed' my sons ipad to use it for a brew day for fun. You just log into the app from whatever device you want to use.
Ok ill go have another look i couldn't find it in the google play store.

Plus 1 for Brewfather more adjustable settings than the basic tilt G-sheets and more reliable updates than tilt url. I use an old android tablet on my brew fridge, when the screen timed out I had to email the Tilt reading. Brewfather auto updates happy Paddy[emoji16]

I have an SS Brewtech Unitank.
I initially bought an Ispindel, but the wifi signal would not get through the stainless steel fermenter.
I sold the iSpindel, and bought a Tilt. The tilt's bluetooth signal works through the fermenter,

Bluetooth also uses significantly less power than wifi, I guess thats the main reason they chose it.
I have an old android phone that is connected to my wifi home network, and the phone collects thr tilt bluetooth signal and sends the stats via google. If you dont have an old android phone, get a raspberry pi, but its more mucking about.

I love my Tilt. I hesitated on the purchase for quite a while due to price, but it's worth it. Accuracy is very close to the hydrometer, but more importantly just being able to see how a fermentation is coming along while you're at work is very satisfying. Combined with a WiFi Inkbird temp controller and Brewfather and I'm living in a future I didn't think was possible a year ago.

As for not being WiFi, this is a battery saving decision. I've put it through 6 brews so far, which is probably about 4-5 months worth and the battery is still going strong. I have an old Raspberry Pi sitting on top of the fridge logging it to Brewfather. As long as you store it upright between brews the battery should last quite a while.

I have no experience with the iSpindel but I'm over the moon with the TIlt.

The version 2 sleeps in the vertical or horizontal position it wakes up when it’s floating in the “tilted” position

Thanks for the answers fellers - there had to be a reason.

does it tell you what its battery level is? what type of battery is needed?

does it tell you what its battery level is? what type of battery is needed?

When waking your Tilt from a standing or laying down position you will see an LED on the circuit board blink green, indicating the battery is good. If you can't see the LED or it is very dim, you'll want to swap out your battery. It is recommended to double check that the LED did not flash by putting the Tilt to sleep again (letting it stand vertically or lay horizontally for 30 seconds or until you see the LED blink blue) and waking it up again in a glass of water. Changing the battery will require recalibration so it is best to be sure the battery is really dead before changing it.

The battery is a lithium CR123A battery

I have 2 of the latest version tilt devices and am super happy. I bought them 2nd hand at half the RRP and even then I thought they were on the pricey side, but everyone has a different perception of value. I love the way they integrate with Brewfather. It's so easy to see when fermentation has nearly finished and it's time to turn the wick up for your diacetyl rest. No more guessing, or having to take samples. Easier, less mess and more sanitary.

I'm impressed with my Tilt/ Pi Zero W combination.
The Tilt is not cheap but really cool, Pi Zero was laying around from a previous aborted project, was happy to find a use for it.
Would definitely buy again if I had to.

Hi
Used my Tilt for the first time. Happy to confirm temp is staying constant with the set temp in the ferment fridge (stc 1000).
Did have an issue with muck from the kraeusen building up on top effectively making it top heavy and giving a incorrect gravity. I had to draw a sample,and offset in brewfather.
Has anyone else found a solution for this build up problem?

Kev

I use an old android tablet on my brew fridge, when the screen timed out
I had the same problem with a old Samsung tablet. I downloaded an app called "do not sleep" from google play. I have to leave it plugged in with the screen brightness turned down(or it uses power faster than it can charge.)

I'm impressed with my Tilt/ Pi Zero W combination.
The Tilt is not cheap but really cool, Pi Zero was laying around from a previous aborted project, was happy to find a use for it.
Would definitely buy again if I had to.
Badseed do you think the raspberry would be better than an old tablet/phone?

Badseed do you think the raspberry would be better than an old tablet/phone?
Sorry for my late reply.

It's probably more reliable and will use less power, but the end result is pretty much the same.
I'm a big fan of the pi though and I had the zero sitting collecting dust.

Latest posts

Back