Tilt owners you happy with it ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
So I’m thinking of getting a tilt. Seems like a great tool. The hydro readings is cool but I like the idea of the accurate temp readings inside
The fermenter.

Has it lived up to the hype for you ?

Biggest gripe, it's not wifi.
That said if it broke today I'd buy another straight up!

I have got two tilts and am very happy with them. They are fairly accurate and you can calibrate them if they aren’t reading correctly.
I am using them linked to brewfather and google sheets, it’s cool seeing the progress with fermentation and temperature. Combined with my wifi inkbird it all works awesomely.
I still check OG and FG with a hydrometer.
They can go a bit dicky when you add dry hops commando style but that doesn’t bother me too much.
The DIY iSpindle do the same thing for around a quarter of the price and they are wifi connected.

I've used mine in one brew so far and had some accuracy issues.

I plan to attempt to calibrate it before my next brew on the weekend.

love mine, the calibration does drift but is a great guide to see how fermentation is going and how consistent temp is. It would be better if it would log over wifi as you need a blue tooth device to log constantly, I just use and old phone.

Tilt customer service is second to none, I had issues with temperature readings on one of mine and had a replacement shipped to me very quickly.

The lack of wifi is the only thing stopping me from buying one of these

I looked at both and went for the ISpindel. Bee2Gee on here makes and sells them, for less than a third of the price of a tilt.
Wifi connection to fermentrack which I also made a Brewpi temp controller which is also connected to fermentrack. I calibrated mine and it works great and fairly accurate. I got the model with the extra long wire wifi antenna. I can put it inside my SS Brewtech Chronical which is also inside my fermenting fridge, and it will still connect to wifi via a router I have sitting on top of my fermenting fridge. Getting a second one for my other stainless fermenter.

ispindel 1.jpg

You can add WiFi functionality to them now... You just need a Rasberry pi thingy!
They should just have it built in . surely they get plenty of feedback requesting it

I looked at both and went for the ISpindel. Bee2Gee on here makes and sells them, for less than a third of the price of a tilt.
Wifi connection to fermentrack which I also made a Brewpi temp controller which is also connected to fermentrack. I calibrated mine and it works great and fairly accurate. I got the model with the extra long wire wifi antenna. I can put it inside my SS Brewtech Chronical which is also inside my fermenting fridge, and it will still connect to wifi via a router I have sitting on top of my fermenting fridge. Getting a second one for my other stainless fermenter.

View attachment 116392
Can i get some more info on this ?
is it just plug and play?

Can i get some more info on this ?
is it just plug and play?
Not quite, you either have to create a free account with Ubidots website (use the ubidots for education which they dont mention this on the Ispindel documentation.) https://ubidots.com/stem/

Or install fermentrack onto a raspberry Pi and connect via its IP address in a browser.

Not quite, you either have to create a free account with Ubidots website (use the ubidots for education which they dont mention this on the Ispindel documentation.) https://ubidots.com/stem/

Or install fermentrack onto a raspberry Pi and connect via its IP address in a browser.
Thanks for that mate i wouldn't know where to begin. I think ill just wait till tilt comes up with a wifi model or another company releases something similar

Thanks for that mate i wouldn't know where to begin. I think ill just wait till tilt comes up with a wifi model or another company releases something similar
If you follow the Ispindel doc on how to set it all up its not that hard. There is a thread on it here that might be of help

If you have the Brewfather app, it'll take you max 20 mins* to hook this up and monitor your fermentation. In fact the steps are all very similar with other brewing apps. The instructions are very easy to follow.

You won't need to know any of the Ubidots/R.Pi stuff.

*Because it takes 15 mins for the first data log to be sent from the iSpindel :)

If you have the Brewfather app, it'll take you max 20 mins* to hook this up and monitor your fermentation. In fact the steps are all very similar with other brewing apps. The instructions are very easy to follow.

You won't need to know any of the Ubidots/R.Pi stuff.

*Because it takes 15 mins for the first data log to be sent from the iSpindel :)
Unfortunately i cant get brewfather as its ios only i believe. I use beersmith

Unfortunately i cant get brewfather as its ios only i believe. I use beersmith
Brewfather works on anything. I use it on my pc my android phone and I 'borrowed' my sons ipad to use it for a brew day for fun. You just log into the app from whatever device you want to use.

Back