Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Tilt owners you happy with it ?

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by mongey, 23/8/19.

1. Drewgong

Posted 29/8/19
    Ok ill go have another look i couldn't find it in the google play store.

2. Ferment8

Pro Pro

Posted 29/8/19
    It's web based not a downloaded app. Just go to the website and start the app from there

Truman42 likes this.
  3. FarsideOfCrazy

Posted 30/8/19
  4. Paddy

Posted 1/9/19
    Plus 1 for Brewfather more adjustable settings than the basic tilt G-sheets and more reliable updates than tilt url. I use an old android tablet on my brew fridge, when the screen timed out I had to email the Tilt reading. Brewfather auto updates happy Paddy

WEF likes this.
  5. krz

Posted 1/9/19
    I have an SS Brewtech Unitank.
    I initially bought an Ispindel, but the wifi signal would not get through the stainless steel fermenter.
    I sold the iSpindel, and bought a Tilt. The tilt's bluetooth signal works through the fermenter,

Bluetooth also uses significantly less power than wifi, I guess thats the main reason they chose it.
    I have an old android phone that is connected to my wifi home network, and the phone collects thr tilt bluetooth signal and sends the stats via google. If you dont have an old android phone, get a raspberry pi, but its more mucking about.

WEF likes this.
  6. donald_trub

Posted 1/9/19
    I love my Tilt. I hesitated on the purchase for quite a while due to price, but it's worth it. Accuracy is very close to the hydrometer, but more importantly just being able to see how a fermentation is coming along while you're at work is very satisfying. Combined with a WiFi Inkbird temp controller and Brewfather and I'm living in a future I didn't think was possible a year ago.

As for not being WiFi, this is a battery saving decision. I've put it through 6 brews so far, which is probably about 4-5 months worth and the battery is still going strong. I have an old Raspberry Pi sitting on top of the fridge logging it to Brewfather. As long as you store it upright between brews the battery should last quite a while.

I have no experience with the iSpindel but I'm over the moon with the TIlt.

7. RobW

The Little Abbotsford Craftbrewery

Home Page:
    Posted 2/9/19
    Why upright?

Cheers

Rob

8. onemorecell

Posted 2/9/19
    i think it turns on when it isn't upright. in liquid it is tilted for this purpose

9. beer gut

Pro Pro

Posted 2/9/19
    The version 2 sleeps in the vertical or horizontal position it wakes up when it’s floating in the “tilted” position

onemorecell likes this.
  10. RobW

The Little Abbotsford Craftbrewery

Home Page:
    Posted 2/9/19
    Thanks for the answers fellers - there had to be a reason.

11. Drewgong

Posted 2/9/19
    does it tell you what its battery level is? what type of battery is needed?

12. beer gut

Pro Pro

Posted 2/9/19

When waking your Tilt from a standing or laying down position you will see an LED on the circuit board blink green, indicating the battery is good. If you can't see the LED or it is very dim, you'll want to swap out your battery. It is recommended to double check that the LED did not flash by putting the Tilt to sleep again (letting it stand vertically or lay horizontally for 30 seconds or until you see the LED blink blue) and waking it up again in a glass of water. Changing the battery will require recalibration so it is best to be sure the battery is really dead before changing it.

The battery is a lithium CR123A battery

13. ABG

Posted 3/9/19
    I have 2 of the latest version tilt devices and am super happy. I bought them 2nd hand at half the RRP and even then I thought they were on the pricey side, but everyone has a different perception of value. I love the way they integrate with Brewfather. It's so easy to see when fermentation has nearly finished and it's time to turn the wick up for your diacetyl rest. No more guessing, or having to take samples. Easier, less mess and more sanitary.

BadSeed likes this.
  14. BadSeed

Posted 3/9/19
    I'm impressed with my Tilt/ Pi Zero W combination.
    The Tilt is not cheap but really cool, Pi Zero was laying around from a previous aborted project, was happy to find a use for it.
    Would definitely buy again if I had to.