Tight Fermenter Lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickTed

Reaction score
I was trying to open a fermenter, and I braced the tap against my knee for leverage, and it jumped a thread.

Had to unscrew it cross-threaded, and screw it in again, as quick as possible, with water dribbling out.

Fortunately it wasn't full of beer, or I'd have lost a good litre, and more than likely contaminate the rest. Possibly a heart attack also.

Now if I want the spout pointing down, the tap is fairly loose, but doesn't leak, even when full.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas on how to get a good grip on this thing when unscrewing the lid?

Don't overtighten it and you shouldn't need to wrestle it open. If you need to tighen it so hard for a decent seal, you may just need a new o-ring.

Foodgrade o-ring grease.
Does wonders for helping airtight seal & makes unscrewing the lid too easy.

Tried to open my screw lid fermenter to rouse the yeasties in a swartzbier thats stuck at 1.024 ...

Couldn't shift it!!!!!! Even with a piece of timber across the lugs as a lever! :(

Any ideas from those who overtighten their fermenter lids? I tried to give the contents a "swirl", but I really think I need to get a paddle in their to break up the yeast cake.

Anyone? :huh:

i always get a mate to hold the fermenter while i tackle the lid.

Had the same trouble, was thinking of using a bit of Vaseline on the o-ring to make it easier to undo, any troubles with this?

Tried to open my screw lid fermenter to rouse the yeasties in a swartzbier thats stuck at 1.024 ...

Couldn't shift it!!!!!! Even with a piece of timber across the lugs as a lever! :(

Any ideas from those who overtighten their fermenter lids? I tried to give the contents a "swirl", but I really think I need to get a paddle in their to break up the yeast cake.

Anyone? :huh:

Sit on the floor and wrap your legs around it tight to hold it, then swear while you get the lid of with a bit of effort.

Once it's off, take out the rubber seal and screw the lid back on. There's no need for it, unless you are one who insists on listening to the 'bloop'.

Had exactly the same thing the other day. What had happened was wort got into the o-ring when I aerated (a little too hard it seems :) ) I finally got it off after lots of swearing, whinging, and grunting. I accomplished it with a rubber glove on each hand and raw muscle, and promptly went "AAAAAAAAAAARGH BEEFCAKE!"

Pulled the O-Ring out and there was a nice ring of mould, tasty! However the beer seems OK.

My advice is to rack it maybe? May help it spring into action without splashing caused by trying to get the lid off.

Thanks fellas! I'll try a bit more brute force before I rack it Adamt. One of those things you only do once - I hope!

May even experiment with the gladwrap and elastic band again ...trouble is I do like watching the airlock bubble :D

if you've got a tap fitted, I wedge it against something to give it something to fight against. I've also used a hammer...

I've used a leather belt.

placed around threaded thru loop then pull backward in an anticlock wise direction

I've used a leather belt.

placed around threaded thru loop then pull backward in an anticlock wise direction
Nice one. A bit more elegant than whacking it with a hammer :blink:

I always try holding the very top of the fermenter with my right fingers and left thumb on opposite sides, then twisting the lid of with my left fingers and right thumb.

But the belt idea seems cracker! Now I think I just need a larger belt... :D

if you've got a tap fitted, I wedge it against something to give it something to fight against. I've also used a hammer...

I've tried this already Bonj ...and the tap jumped its thread and started leaking! I reckon if I hadn't of heard it "crack" as it happened there'd be sticky black beer all over the brewery floor :eek:

Luckily, I was able to tighten it again ...but I'm sure it could easily have pulled loose causing my fermenter to bleed out!

Now if I want the spout pointing down, the tap is fairly loose, but doesn't leak, even when full.

Howdy DT,

I reckon it's worth getting rid of the standard flat 'O-rings' that come with the tap. They'ra a bugger to get on and off, wear badly and give you no room to twist the spout into the down possy. I've got nice big fat o-rings on my taps. Luuverley!

Another one for undoing the fermenter lid (and this will seem a bit esoteric) is visualisation. Just stop for a few seconds before you attempt to undo it and 'feel' or imagine the lid undoing. This results in the brain working your muscles most efficiently. Works well though I'm not sure it'll help jimmy. Maybe a jackhammer Jimmy?

;)
Pat

i sit mine on the bench and basically cuddle the fermenter. My right hand cuddling the fermenter and my left hand cuddling the lid as if your whole arm is wrapped around the lid. That way you get a good grip with your hands and its not awkward.
comes off easy peasy

cheers
kingy

If your having this much trouble getting the lid off give it to the dog to use as a frisby. Just put some gladwrap over the top of the fermenter and put the o ring on it to hold it on.

I'm one of the 'give me a sealed fermentor or give me VB' brigade :blink: . I use veggie oil to grease the seal and I still have dramas getting it undone, it's where the missus comes in handy.
I'm not real fussed about open fermenting while the brews bubbling (except for large lumps falling in), but what happens while the yeast is lagging ? What happens once the brew is finished and you're too busy/lazy to keg/bottle it straight away. That's where I feel a closed fermentor and an airlock come into their own.
I do recall someone on the forum (Borret ??) making a big 'spanner' for undoing the lid, still doesn't help with th rest of the fermentor spinning though.

Cheers,
Mika....using Pat's visualisation technique to fill my empty glass...

i just use Glad wrap over the top never had any problems for 2 or 3 years.

:D Jason

Back