Tig Welding Pub Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fifthpinned06

Reaction score
Any of you guys know exactly what the kegs most of us convert into all grain rigs are made of?

Eg. all Stainless, all aluminium, or a mix

just want to try some tig welding on one of them and trying to sort out the equipment i need.

Cheers

Any of you guys know exactly what the kegs most of us convert into all grain rigs are made of?

just want to try some tig welding on one of them and trying to sort out the equipment i need.

Cheers

most are Stainless bit there are the aluminium ones

The stainless ones are made of stainless
The aluminum ones are made of aluminum
The plastic ones are made of plastic

Hope this helps :lol:

is there no end to the helpfulness of AHBer's :blink:

The stainless ones are made of stainless
The aluminum ones are made of aluminum
The plastic ones are made of plastic
What about the Euro-style ones that are stainless encased with black rubber?

What about the Euro-style ones that are stainless encased with black rubber?

The stainless bits are made of stainless
The aluminum bits are made of aluminum
The plastic bits are made of plastic
The rubber bits are made of rubber

:lol:

For the OP, if your talking about the normal Tooheys/CUB ones they are stainless

But Kev you are neglecting the Stainless Alloy kegs :ph34r:

Cheers

The stainless kegs will be 304

There are days.....

Dear OP, if you have never worked with SS before, please proceed with caution. You might be better off asking a kind local AHBer/brewer/fitter/welder to help.

It's just that you need to go real slow with your cutting and need to be somewhat decent at welding SS, for example, I'd probably give it a miss as I've bugger all welding experience with SS at all.

I was reading up on the history of beer packaging that aluminium kegs were phased out because some of them began to lose their integrity (ie they exploded) over a period of time...

No great loss losing megaswill. Hope the cellar was empty at the time though.

They are 316 Stainless. Its written on the keg somewhere i think.......

Might pay to check that. I don't think I've seen a keg made of 316 before. Happy to be corrected though.

Most if not all kegs will be 304 food grade. 316 if i'm not mistaken is designed for corrosion resistance against high chloride content, ie for boats and stuff. Beer doesn't have a high chloride content, unless you brew with seawater.

And if you brew with seawater, then you probably work for Castlemaine so just ask your boss what their kegs are made of :ph34r:

Back