TIG Welder Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camo6

Relax? Don't worry?? It's not just an internet for
Reaction score
I have the chance to purchase a well priced TIG welder to handle both stainless and alloy and wondering what others do when it comes to sourcing pure argon.
I've looked at hiring a bottle and aside from the $100 outlay, the bottle rental is around $14 a month. I'd like to spend a bit of time becoming proficient at TIG welding but after that I imagine I'd be using it only on the odd occasion.
The alternatives to renting seem to be to either use disposable 2.2l cylinders like these (as well as a suitable regulator) or buy a bottle outright like these (not quite sure of the size).There is another alternative where I could buy or source a 2nd hand bottle suitable to the task and decant the gas from a rental into this.
Looking for suggestions from any TIG welders out there.

Cheers,

Cam.

Meh, i pay $49 every 3 months because i was broke at the time. However i have been paid a few hundred for on-the-side-work that justifies the cost up until this point.
I'll return it and buy myself a cylinder next time i travel from bris -> sydney where the shop is :lol:

edit::spelling

Are you referring to the ebay bottles or can you actually buy a bottle outright from the likes of Supagas or BOC? I was under the impression they only do rentals.

Bumping for the avo crowd. Any Tigger's got any alternatives to renting a bottle or experience with the above ideas?

In SA we can only rent bottles or use the disposables which don't last long. Its not cheep but I don't see an alternative. With stainless and alloy you really need the argon too. I practiced tig welding on mild steel using argoshield lite for mig welders which I run all the time, once I thought I was good enough I moved up to the argon and stainless. If you can fusion weld with an oxy you should be able to use a tig no probs.

Cheers all. Will give the dandenong gasweld a try. That sounds like a more economical solution. I'm sure once I'm happy with my ability it'll sit around gathering dust most of the time.

If you are welding ally are you not supposed to have a bit of helium mix ? Supposed to burn the oxidisation off (don't quote me, only what I remember from somewhere)

I just rent a larger argon from supagas for stainless. I would like to do ally but my welder is only a DC

My mate uses straight argon I'm pretty sure. I picked up the tig the other night and had a play before hand. Impressed with the puddle control these things employ. Now just have to develop a technique.
I think I'll just hire a bottle and practice heaps. Down the track I might just decant or get disposables for the amount of use it'll get.

Cheers for advice

What sort of welder is it? Mine is a cheap Chinese model with plasma cut. I am not 100% happy with it as there have been small problems and the aftersales service on such things is non existant.

Its an oldish italian made esseti? 200 ac/dc. Not sure how old but in good nick. Weighs a ton compared to the whizz bang, $7k lunch box he replaced it with.

On another note, can anyone recommend a moderately priced mask to use? I'm thinking speedglas or miller but theyre a bit exxy.

Sounds good. The mask I use is the same as the cheap ones on ebay. They are adjustable in darkness as you will need more shade for tig. My welder is small and powerful but only cost $1300 compared to the 5-7 that a good name brand would cost. I use the MIG more any way.

I have the chance to purchase a well priced TIG welder to handle both stainless and alloy and wondering what others do when it comes to sourcing pure argon.
I've looked at hiring a bottle and aside from the $100 outlay, the bottle rental is around $14 a month. I'd like to spend a bit of time becoming proficient at TIG welding but after that I imagine I'd be using it only on the odd occasion.
The alternatives to renting seem to be to either use disposable 2.2l cylinders like these (as well as a suitable regulator) or buy a bottle outright like these (not quite sure of the size).There is another alternative where I could buy or source a 2nd hand bottle suitable to the task and decant the gas from a rental into this.
Looking for suggestions from any TIG welder for sale out there.

Cheers,

Cam.
I'm inexperienced with TIG but I'm looking to buy a unit and pick up the hobby. I want a machine that is compact and can run off 120v or 240v. I have a budget of around $2000. What should I look for? Any recommendations on accessories as well?

If you want to weld aluminium an AC/DC machine is manditory
Aluminium oxidises very quickly and must be welded with AC square wave welder. (The upper part of the square wave works as a cleaning function)

I'm inexperienced with TIG but I'm looking to buy a unit and pick up the hobby. I want a machine that is compact and can run off 120v or 240v. I have a budget of around $2000. What should I look for? Any recommendations on accessories as well?
I've been thinking about getting a TIG myself for both stainless and aluminium, the recently released new tig from unimig looks interesting and around your budget... RAZOR TIG 200 AC/DC Welder | UNIMIG Welding Supplies

Back