Three weeks later 1.029 - Still going?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjp770

Reaction score
So im doing an all grain APA, two weeks in to ferment I checked it. Didnt smell like beer (compared to the 1 week mark where it smelt beautiful) and had a strong smell almost like alcohol? It measured 1.029 at 16c with the refractometer. I thought it was dead so I left it. Came back a week later it has its beer smell back but still says 1.029.

Any tips? Things i forgot to do in the brew process is oxygenate the cooled wort and add the irish moss (or what ever flocculant i had). I would usually use O2 injected into the transfer line when moving the wort from the boil kettle to the fermenter.

I seem to remember there was something about one of the specific gravity measuring tools and temperature? Do I need to convert that 1.029 reading somehow? I thought the refractometer was temp adjusting.

Have you checked with a hydrometer? The refractometer is incorrect when alcohol is present. Apparently there is an online converter but best to use hydrometer anytime after you pitch.

You'll need to adjust the reading to allow for alcohol. What was the original gravity?

I'll check with the hydrometer later this arvo. Beersmith has my og saved, I'll post that when I'm home. Knew there was something about the refractometer.

1.029 is about 7.3 Brix. Assuming an average OG of 1.052 and using a convertor for alcohol correction gives a FG of 1.015 and almost 5% abv. Sounds like it might be finished.

1.009 - 1.010.
OG was 1.050

Thanks for the help. Still tastes a bit weird, whats the concensus? Should I Cold crash now and transfer tonight?

Define weird?

I cold crash in my primary for as long as possible but at least a few days. I don't bother transferring to secondary anymore.

If it's been a few weeks and it's at 1010 I'd definitely CC it now.

by weird id say no more than flat warm beer would i guess. I think im being optimistic that it would taste niceish out of the fermenter. CC'ing now, i'll report back tomorrow when I transfer.

Back