Three Tier System Plans

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Econwatson

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I've been drooling over the three tier systems that you guys are showing off on the brew rig thread.
I was wondering if anybody had plans for a three tier brewing system. I'm interested in reading about how I would go about building it, and roughly how much it would cost.

Going to go for an urn next before three tier, but it always pays to plan ahead! :)

James

If you plan to use gravity then the formula is simple.

The kettle is generally the height of the fermenter off the ground = first tier

The bottom of the mash tun is at the height of the top of the kettle = second tier

The bottom of the hlt is at the height of the top of the mash tun = third tier

Someone else's plans for a brew sculpture may not be suitable due to different size vessels eg a 50 litre keg may be taller than a 50 litre stainless pot etc, etc.

Then you will get someone telling you that the hlt will be too high and to use a pump or you could build it flat and so on.

If you use gas to fire your pots then a steel frame is recommended.
The materials used are generally RHS or angle iron and the general construction and size of the material will be determined by the size (capacity) of your brewery.
These frames are usually welded together and you may have to get a tradesman or good handyman to do the welding for you if you don't have the necessary skills.

If the entire brewery is electric fired then you would probably get away with a wood frame but over time if a wood frame is not sealed properly and subject to hot liquids being spilt on it then, this may pose a problem.

My advice is to collect all your equipment first and then plan and build the frame to suit.
Do some searching for "brew Sculptures" before you start for some good ideas.

Good luck with your brewery build,

Cheers

Thanks very much for the advice mate! This is exactly the sort of information I needed! I had read about brew sculptures before but thought people were talking about some form of art! Good to know!

Damn good advice above, there are many factors, some just relate to how bling you want it, personally I made no plans as such I just built the bloody thing..

The actual metal frame I got for free, a vertical file frame work was disposing of a bit of time with an angle grinder and some cement sheet and it all came together, the trick really was though that Ive had all my equipment and been using it for a considerable time and knew what I wanted.. once you know how you want to do it, it's a piece of piss to build it.

Heights as per what Dicko said and I gravity feed fro HLT to MT, MT to Keggle, Keggle to Cube/FV but use a pump to recirc..

:icon_cheers:

Thanks again! I'd guess I'd probably have a better idea of what I was doing and what I wanted if I saw one in action.

Would it be worth going to one of Grain and Grape's brew days? Do they brew on a three tier?

I think they do BIAB but dont quote me on it.. you are welcome to swing round here on a brewday anytime... bring a driver for the return journey.

I think they do BIAB but dont quote me on it.. you are welcome to swing round here on a brewday anytime... bring a driver for the return journey.

Yeh Yob is right G&G only do BIAB and Braumiester demos.

They vary their demos - herms, braumeister, 3 tier (or have done I'm sure), BIAB. Check the website for details and check out Yob's rig if you are anywhere close.

I'd offer the same but my brew stand is an old medical food trolley, two tier and I just use jugs and move shit around on milk crates etc so it's hardly exciting. If I set up some pumps and fixed the leak in my HLT, I could have a readymade 2 tiered system. I'll get round to it.

My advice is to collect all your equipment first and then plan and build the frame to suit.
Do some searching for "brew Sculptures" before you start for some good ideas.

This is what I've done, and it has meant I haven't spent money on a stand that wasn't suitable for the equipment I have.

I use a 3v system and spent ages using my outdoor table and chairs with a milk crate to get HLT, MT and kettles at the right height. Now I use a couple of old army ammo crates and my trusty milk crates. Not pretty, but effective and easy to pack everything away.

JD

The beer engineer stands might be an option if you have the coin and lack the skills. Probably more suited to an electric set up though.
Here

My Mates got one of the beer engineer stands, quality piece of kit, especially if your in need of space. I'm looking to invest in one over the next couple of months as I have an electrical system and my shed seems to be getting smaller by the day.

I don't mean to hijack thread and this has probably been asked a thousand times, but if using 25mm SHS, what thickness would be suitable.
Cheers,
Hopie

Back