Quantcast

Thoughts

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

cavey

Well-Known Member
Joined
1/1/13
Messages
46
Reaction score
4
Hi all,

I put down a Canadian blonde (using BE2) and an American ale yeast, on the 11th feb- OG was 1039. I was going to try dry hopping 20g of cascade on day 5 and leave for further 7 days. I checked today(day 5) and gravity is 1020, so not quite there yet. Should I stick with my original plan of adding hops today, or should I wait a few more days?
 

bum

Not entitled to an opinion
Joined
19/2/09
Messages
11,585
Reaction score
909
Are you asking if fermentation needs to be complete before dry hopping? No, it doesn't. Some people prefer to wait until the more active early stages of fermentation are comeplete so that flavour and aroma is not stripped out form the dry additions. Others feel the active ferment can smooth out such flavours and maybe combat grassiness.

I guess what I'm saying is you'll be right either way, IMO. It just depends how long you want the hops in there in total. For the small addition you're talking about I'd personally be looking at dry hopping 3/4 days out from bottling. That's me though.
 

Latest posts

Top