Thoughts Re Coffee Urn - No Chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shjbrown

Reaction score
Hi,

I am pretty new to the brew scene (and my first post here). I am a biochemist by trade so up to speed with the brew chemistry and sterility issues, but still sorting out my gear.

I've been thinking about the best way to move away from kits/stovetop stockpot, into extract/full boil. The coffee urn boil into 15L FWK containers followed by no-chill sounds good right now.

Things I like are 1) the ability to full boil 2) low amount of equipment required 3) splitting the boil day from the ferment day.

What are the disadvantages?

Should I get a 20L or 40L urn?

Can I then use the urn later for BIAB?

Any advice appreciated...

-Simon

If your going to get an urn, get a 40L one and go BIAB from the get go.

If your going to get an urn, get a 40L one and go BIAB from the get go.

+1

No point stuffing around with a 20L urn if you are getting a 40 anyway. Better to spend a couple of extra dollars and get the 40L in the first place. Then if you are going this way you might as well get a bag too.

Thanks guys, I was thinking the same.

A few more questions:

Concealed vs not? Ease of cleaning is important to me.

Can I get a full boil? I've seen some older posts re boil problems and modification (and eventual element burnout) on the Crown urns. Is this still an issue? I like big IPAs so 1060-1070 would be needed sometimes.

Ebay cheapie urns? Bad idea or worthwhile money saver?

Thanks!

I have concealed with no issues however others do have issues so be careful I guess.

I would recommend 40L urns with BIAB from the get go. I'd also recommend ~21L cubes for your no-chill as 15L is a bit small.

Where are you located?

I have concealed with no issues however others do have issues so be careful I guess.

I would recommend 40L urns with BIAB from the get go. I'd also recommend ~21L cubes for your no-chill as 15L is a bit small.

Where are you located?

Makes sense for the 21lt cubes, I was just thinking 15lt as I have a few sitting about from fresh wort kits. I thought maybe I could do a higher gravity 15L and then just add 5L and year starter to the fermentor.

I am in Wollongong.

Thanks!

I have a 40L Birko (exposed element) and have no boil issues at all...

gets a nice rolling boil...

I am in Wollongong.

Ill ask Gino how to go about getting you into the IBU's which is the Wollongong brewing club.

Good bunch of guys with plenty of brewing brains to pick at

Sponge

I have a 40L Crown with a concealed element and haven't had any problems achieving a rolling boil. It isn't insulated and hasn't been modified either. However, I am yet to use it during Winter. Easy to clean and no need to worry about scorching the bag. Although I don't own an exposed element I reckon the difference would be buggar all with regards to cleaning it. Maybe an extra minute or 2 I'd assume.

I have a 40L crown urn with a concealed element and have 0 troubles getting a raging boil. I run PBW through at the end of each brew day, and leaves it sparkling clean.

Get a 40L urn, get a bag and get it done right the first time. I don't have any insulation during the boil etc, but lag it with a cheap sleeping back from kmart, and a random jacket i've got. Temp loss was 1.9C during the last beer on Friday. I'm on the look out for a CHEAP ski jacket to use for lagging. Dirty 80's cheap ski jacket. I will find you.

you will probably find those fresh wort kit cubes are actually 17L's and not 15L's, at least thats what i have found.

Back