Thoughts on my brew recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rdyno

Reaction score
Hi all. I just put a brew on using a coopers draught can of LME two 1kg bags of coppertun dark DME and I boiled 500g of coppertun cracked wheat grains and added that. From my very uneducated guess I think I will get somewhere close to 7% alcohol volume is this correct? Also I wanted to use light DME but the dark was there at the time and I wanted to get this brewing as I have another planned so i just used the dark what do you guys think the taste will be like?

Edit: The yeast was safale US-05.

No hops I have not brewed for too long and this is the first time I tried partial all be it a very simple form, I might try hops later but I don't really know how they will taste so I will get some base tastes without first.

Hi,
I dropped your list into the spreadsheet available on the K&E forum and came up with this:
1 tin coopers draught
2 kg of dark DME
half a kilo of wheat grain - I dunno which one to use so i assumed wheat caramel malt
assumed 23L batch size
US05 yeast

1.059 -> 1.015
22.8 IBU
6.1 % alc
43.6 EBC

As for taste, I would advise against boiling your grains, best bet is to steep them in some hot water (aroundd 60-80 deg) for about 30-60 min. stain them and then boil the liquid, not the grains. you need to boil the liquid as the grains may have been harboring some nasties that would love to infect your beer. Boiling the grains straight up may give you an astringent taste, like tea that has been left on the leaves too long.
As for what it will taste like, maybe something in the realms of tooheys old.
Keep on brewing, practice makes perfect

I boiled the grains then strained the liquid then boiled the liquid that came out of the grain.

Rdyno said:
No hops I have not brewed for too long and this is the first time I tried partial all be it a very simple form, I might try hops later but I don't really know how they will taste so I will get some base tastes without first.
Don't be afraid of hops! Easy way to add a lot of flavour!

Don't boil grains unless decocting. Wheat needs mashing.

If not using a prebittered kit, you need to add bittering hops at the very least.

In this case your coopers draught tin will provide some bitterness.

My guess is this is gonna taste like arse......not bikini babe arse either.

Are you trying to make a certain style or just the most potent alcohol fueled beery type substance you can?

You can always add hops in a few days (maybe 5 to 7) when fermentation has stopped (or at least slowed down).

You can't go wrong with adding hops!!!!

Cheers.

I read the packet of the grains and it said you could boil the grains and add them without steeping.

My aim was just to try something.

I might try hops next brew.

I reckon it is not going to taste as good as your next brew :)

Back