Thoughts On Extract Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete6

Reaction score
My wife supports my brewing addiction, which is great, but i need to start making more beers that she likes to drink! - She really likes Blue moon, so figured i'd scour the web (mostly US forums) to see what i could come up with - and from reading around, i've settled on something along the lines of this!

Now its time to get some expert advice :) - so please help me make a nice beer...

1.5 KG Coopers Wheat LME
1.5 KG Extra light DME
500g Crystal 10
500g Honey
30g Coriander
30g Orange zest
45g Hellertau (6.8%AA) hops

Steep crystal for 30 mins
1.5kg DME and 30g hellertau @60 mins
LME and honey @30 mins
15g crushed coriander seeds @15
15g crushed coriander seeds @5
15g hellertau @5 mins

SafbreWB-06

Probably will do a full boil to come out around 21-22L and christen my new wort chiller! Tap water seems cold enough to do that now!!
Brewmate tells me a OG of 1.058 and a FG 0f 1.013
What will the honey do? i've never brewed with honey before! - will it take longer to ferment through?

Any thought or comment appreciated :)

Honey is mostly fermentable.

My concern is the amount of liquid and dry malt you are using, along with a swag of crystal.

Its gunna be pretty sweet. But beer is subjective - it may be what you want.

If it were me I would cut the dry malt down to about 1kg or less and replace with dex/sugar. Also drop the crystal to 150-200g.

Cheers

Agreed, beer is very subjective; I'm not a fan of honey in beer. For me it gives a strange sickly port/oxidised flavour. Why not save the honey for another brew and just let the orange peel and coriander be the boss here...

I would be following fisher's advice on the malt and dex too.
You don't need to do a full boil. Maybe about 150 gms of the crystal, steeped in 2 litres of 65-70' water for 30 -40 minutes. Do a sparge with a litre or 2 of hot water, then add 350 grams of your LDME. Boil for 10 minutes and then start your your hop and spice additions. Add the rest of the fermentables at flameout.

Cheers.

You don't need to do a full boil. Maybe about 150 gms of the crystal, steeped in 2 litres of 65-70' water for 30 -40 minutes. Do a sparge with a litre or 2 of hot water, then add 350 grams of your LDME. Boil for 10 minutes and then start your your hop and spice additions. Add the rest of the fermentables at flameout.

Cheers.

+1

I used 250g of crystal in a kit brew once and it was too much. 500g would be way too much IMO. Stick to the above advice.

Back