Thoughts on DUI?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ no not necessarily. I was done twice in my irresponsible youth and blew pretty much the same btw the handheld & official machine.

Liam_snorkel said:
^ no not necessarily. I was done twice in my irresponsible youth and blew pretty much the same btw the handheld & official machine.
That would suggest, to me, that you drove quite quickly after drinking (still were processing liquid in your stomach).

If you are purely processing blood alcohol it should drop pretty quick.

It`s odd when you think about it......... if you drive home pissed and get caught, you`re a loser :(

if you drive home pissed and make it....... you`re a ******* legend. :lol:

Parks said:
That would suggest, to me, that you drove quite quickly after drinking (still were processing liquid in your stomach).

something like that.

In my partners case the two readings were taken 5 mins or so apart and from what I remember were a couple of points apart (not 0.06-0.07 as you suggested on the last page).

Liam_snorkel said:
something like that.

In my partners case the two readings were taken 5 mins or so apart and from what I remember were a couple of points apart (not 0.06-0.07 as you suggested on the last page).
Wow - 5 mins? It was about an hour when I got done.

Bloke in Coffs Harbour got done for .335 recently. A member of public actually performed a citizens arrest. Driver mountedthe gutter and went into a carpark and smashed into the back of a 4wd. God knows what would have happened if he kept goinh

That guy who blew .335 is on A Current Affair tonight. ACA are interviewing him out the front of his flat and he is pissed. He kept knocking over his glass of wine. Classic

He is as pissed as 10drunk men..

how `bout when he got up and tried to go thru the front door? :lol:

Penalties should include a mandatory 1000 hours community service working with crash victims with a +150 hours for every point over .08, if then they re-offend, cars confiscated and sold with the money going to help crash victims, sending folks to prison aint the answer Im afraid.

Unfortunatly that doesnt allways work. I know blokes that the only way to stop them from continually reoffending is to lock them up. Some people just dont get it

.05 is a good limit. Over here it's .08 and from experience that is too high. In my youth I drove home from the pub one night so shitfaced that I had to close one eye. I got pulled over at a checkpoint and blew over the limit (don't know exactly what it was) on the roadside...back to cop shop I went.

About 30 minutes later, I blew into the official machine and blew the limit, on the dot. One more point and I would have been done. I was under the limit, and completely rat arsed! There were several other occasions when I had a few and knew I shouldn't really have been driving, and blew under on the roadside. Fortunately, I had kids and pulled my head in, probably saved my life...and probably someone else too.

There's been talk about lowering the limit to .05, I hope they do one day. Under 20's the limit is 0.00

Parks said:

Depends on lots of variables including when and what you last ate and the big one is the condition of your liver.

I was in your country wbosher, jet lagged from 2 days of flying and then drove up from Christchurch to Nelson, halfway through I was buggered as hell. Couldn't keep an eye open even. Spotted the pub and stopped for a drink on the way. Made me feel surprisingly good and woke me right up, when I asked the bar woman how the drinking limit goes before I had my second pint, I got asked if I'm from oz, then, 'whatever it is over there, twice as much n ur right'. No bloody worries. I suspect it goes heavily on individual capacity to put it away etc. I don't see them making it illegal to eat above a certain limit because it make people obese and sick eventually. Why should the law be made to suit the stupid that can't be trusted to know their limit. I'd rather bar staff were stricter and not serve intoxicated people. I you get caught driving intoxicated, the limit and how much you blow over shouldn't matter, their license should be taken away right away until a judge lets you have it back. Whatever happened to common sense! Bloody nanny state and people that ask for one. Just creates irresponsible idiots that just do as they please until caught.

DUI = gaol
.06 = gaol
.09 = gaol
.12 = gaol
No ******* excuses, no ******* tolerance.

Great topic.

Had a close call and blew slightly under the limit when I was about 22. Received a stern chat from the copper at the time. It scared the shit out of me and really made me consider my own personal limits.

I think the punishments definitely need to be increased to fit the crime. I can only try to imagine the loss I would feel if one of my family was killed or maimed by a drunk driver.

The education system also needs more resources to enable it to be more proactive and teach our kids about their (potential) actions behind the wheel during high school. This needs to involve in-your-face strategies such as hearing from victims of drink driving and speakers who have attended crashes caused by drunk drivers. I've attended a few car accidents and what you see sticks with you for a long time. With life and death issues like this, kids need to be shocked a little I think.

Same goes for texting while driving. It's getting pretty hairy on the roads now.

Latest posts

Back