Thoughts on BIAB Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy@67

Reaction score
G'day All,

Saw the last Demo at G & G a couple of weeks ago. Inspired me to have a crack at BIAB, so I have been scouring the internet for a suitable kettle. I have found these, for about $300 landed in Aus (additional info here) and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. I know GuyQLD recently got similar sized pot made by the same company and seemed fairly happy with it, thread is here.

Thanks.

Andrew.

That thing is a monster! But would the extra size be of any use?

The guy at the AG demo I attended said you need double or just under double the size of the kettle for your brew size. So 20L or 23L batch needs 40L urn etc. You wouldn't get a double batch out of it, but I guess you could do 1.5 batches or something.

For that money, you could get a 40L Crown Urn once you take shipping into account. Smaller batch, but wouldn't have to worry about gas and burner issues and costs.

I've only done two BIABS, with a 40L Crown urn and it went well, but I am hardly a font of experience on the subject!

Hard to say without a pic of the inside but I reckon the thermometer would be a huge PITA with BIAB.

G'day,

Thanks for the quick replys peeps.

Econwtson I had not considered an Urn. No need for a burner either. Food for thought.

Bum, I did wonder if the thermometer would cause an issue. It was one of my main reasons for posing the question.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Andrew.

if i had my time again i would have just bought the crown exposed element urn straight off the bat, don't get me wrong the burner is great for up sizing etc but so is an urn, could have brewed with it for 2 years and could be a hot liquor for god knows how long..

That said the 100 ltr craftbrewer pot for me next and will sell the keggle, no interest in 3v etc, i can hardly clean one item as it is....

What's your reasoning for preferring an exposed element bob? Do they have any benefits in terms of a quicker heating time?

I use a 40L exposed element Crown urn. From what I understand, some people have had issues with getting a vigorous boil from the concealed element. I have had no issues getting a strong boil. The only thing I would say that it is limited to single batches. If you're looking to do double batches you will need something bigger. Also need to be patient when waiting for the water to heat up. All in all takes around 4-5 hours to pump out a batch of wort from start to finish.

as above, just more issues that I have read about over the past couple of years, what i can tell you is that i have never read someone regretting an exposed over a concealed, but have read more than a couple of times the other way.

Pound for pound the urn is great solution for turn key brewing, not to mention space, if your not sure if you want to be a AG brewer, the Big W 19 ltr pot is cheap option too.

I also like that it's electric which means that I can brew in the garage and not have to worry about gas burners inside.

Thanks for the insight guys, sorry to derail your thread OP. But I suppose if you were considering an urn it would be useful information!

bum said:
Hard to say without a pic of the inside but I reckon the thermometer would be a huge PITA with BIAB.
i think i'm missing something...why would the thermometer be bad? the placement of it or something? wouldn't it be helpful for mash temps? i'm probably missing something obvious here but can't pick it

fletcher said:
i think i'm missing something...why would the thermometer be bad? the placement of it or something? wouldn't it be helpful for mash temps? i'm probably missing something obvious here but can't pick it
Depending on the length of the thermometer probe, it could be a potential snag for the bag.

I use a birko 40 l urn. Works a treat even got an 8% belgian to a rolling boil quite easily. I have even adapted my process and mash into an esky, then sparge back into the urn for the boil which has given greater efficiency and clearer wort. No burner needed, no bottle, less coin.....

If you have a skyhook and a brewstand that rolls, you can easily do a double batch using one urn.

I bought a $20 esky 35L from Aldi to use as a mash tun.

Now when you think about it, BIAB consists of lots of waiting around while things happen, punctuated by brief bursts of panic.

You can use that waiting around time to slip in a second brew in a second bag in an esky alongside the urn.

So while the first batch is boiling, the second batch can be mashing in the esky.

When the first batch has been no chilled and the urn washed out, the second batch can get rolled under the skyhook, have its bag raised and be draining.

Then you jug the wort into the cleaned urn and boil that.

Haven't done one for a while, but it works well. You do ideally need an over the side element to heat things in the esky (strike water, step mash if you are doing one)

However you can crank out two batches, not necessarily the same, in about six hours.

G'day all,

Thanks for the input. No derail as far as I can see Ecowatson. All useful info regarding a BIAB kettle. Gave me food for thought and that was my motivation for starting the thread.

According to the specs the temp probe is 2".

With the exposed element are there problems with burning the bag.

Could you not float a cake tin on top of the wort in the urn to reduce the surface area, and thus heat loss. This would increase the boil rate and is what I do in my 19L pot on the stove to cut down on gas useage.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,
I use a stainless colander to cover the element while the bag is in. I pull it out while I'm boiling. Others use a cake rack. Haven't had any issues so far.

curved roasting rack from a kitchen shop with a length of brickies twine attached.

I just stick some bulldog clips over the bag against the edge of the urn, works fine.

Latest posts

Back