Thomas Fawcett Malts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only have a kilo or so each of TF Pale Choc and Light Crystal left - I use it VERY sparingly!!
Cheers,
TL

Ok, TL based on your comments I'm going to put my last 3kg of Chocolate & 2kg of 145EBC Crystal on eBay. I'm expecting some firey bidding from you & Colin. :)

Rgds,
Pete

My finger is poised over the sniper button!

Cheers,
TL

Ok, TL based on your comments I'm going to put my last 3kg of Chocolate & 2kg of 145EBC Crystal on eBay. I'm expecting some firey bidding from you & Colin. :)

Rgds,
Pete
:lol:

But then you won't be able to brew with it yourself!

I'm guessing Customs would crack a wobbly if I visited tried to bring in a couple of kilos of specialty grain on my next trip to the UK.

Mind you, I didn't see a single HBS anywhere I went over there.

Based on what I tasted, if some enterprising soul were to start importing Warminster malts I for one would buy plenty! Those beers were good!

Colin,

You may just get your wish ....... as an early christmas present.

Stay Tuned,
David

Good, because I just bummed 4kg of Maris Otter off a friend so I can make another batch of my "BPA" bitter. :)

Another question

What other maltsters can you get in Australia?

Is this it?

Local - Barrat Burston, Joe White, Powells
UK - Bairds
Germany - Weyermann

No Dingemans? Briess?

Cheers
Brett

Also Hoepfner from Germany.

I've seen references to "Kirin" malt - who makes that?

Colin

Its a joint venture between a local company and kirin brewing in Japan. Based in perth.

http://www.kirinaustralia.com.au/about.html

Apparently its one of the more common malts over in WA but not seen much on the east coast.

Cheers
Dave

Its not actually common, its not in any HBS. But its now the only place that will sell a bulk bag (about a tonne) to a group of brewers (and West Coast Brewers in particular) or to an enterprising person willing to bag and move what they dont need. You get whatever they happen to be malting at the time, which is pretty much megalager malt, so it tends to be quite dextrinous, but if you cut it with some adjunct it can make good beers.

Colin

Its a joint venture between a local company and kirin brewing in Japan. Based in perth.

http://www.kirinaustralia.com.au/about.html

Apparently its one of the more common malts over in WA but not seen much on the east coast.

Cheers
Dave

Its not actually common, its not in any HBS. But its now the only place that will sell a bulk bag (about a tonne) to a group of brewers (and West Coast Brewers in particular) or to an enterprising person willing to bag and move what they dont need. You get whatever they happen to be malting at the time, which is pretty much megalager malt, so it tends to be quite dextrinous, but if you cut it with some adjunct it can make good beers.
Nothing wrong with megalager malt if used right, but you have to be prepared to cut it with adjuncts whether it be dextrose or rice or corn in the mash.

My first GOOD all-grain was a pale ale made with just Joe White Schooner Malt, cane sugar, about 25 IBUs of Pride of Ringwood and Coopers ale yeast. If I hadn't dry hopped it with Cascade it would've tasted like a typical Aussie pub draught.

Latest posts

Back