Thomas Coopers Ipa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwd

Awful Ale Apprentice
Reaction score
1 X Coopers IPA
1Kg LDME
250g Carabohemian
150g Black Malt

200g raw sugar
25g Chinook @30mins
25g Simcoe @30 mins

Malts steeped at 65C for 40 mins
Some Nottigham yeast captured from my last stout brew.
Got some dex hanging around too not decided to add any or not.

Might have brewed another abomination time will tell. Might be a black IPA which seems to be the fashion at the moment.

So are you going for an american style or is that just what you have. All in all this shoulf make a nice one.

I would swap the raw sugar for 500g dextrose just to balance mouthfeel with all the malt and to boost the alcohol a bit.

Happy brewing.

Cheers jake.

That tin has quite a good bitterness itself. I'd make your hop additions later, possibly at the 10 minute mark to get more aroma out of them....or if you have more hops keep the 30 min addition and dump the same amount in when you turn the flame off and leave it for about 10 mins.

That tin has quite a good bitterness itself. I'd make your hop additions later, possibly at the 10 minute mark to get more aroma out of them....or if you have more hops keep the 30 min addition and dump the same amount in when you turn the flame off and leave it for about 10 mins.

He's already done it, it seems.

Will be quite bitter! Whenever I use the kits I only do 10,5,0 additions for flavour/aroma.

That tin has quite a good bitterness itself.
It's about 52IBU when made as per tin directions. Given his LDME and spec malts the perceived bitterness would be around the mid 40s, IMO. I'd totally be beefing up the bitterness too. Lots of late hops never hurt the style though.

Fairly sure I've read of Tropical_Brews talking about this kit a bit before. I expect he knows what he's going to get from it maybe apart from the black malt. 150g seems like a lot if you're just going for colour - you're gonna get a fair whack of burned/roasty flavours, I reckon. If that's what you're after then it all looks good.

[EDIT: lovely day for some typos]

He's already done it, it seems.

Yeah I realised that after I posted. I reckon it's a pretty good kit to jazz up, been over a year since I did a kit beer but my last one was one of these with lots of Cascade. Will have a good backing roast I reckon with 150g. Not too over the top though.

I just started sampling my IPA which I did with a Coopers kit and I don't find it too bitter at all but I malted it up a bit and its is about mid 40s

Granted my beer before that was up around 60-70 IBUs :lol:

Latest posts

Back