This is what 12-year-old lager stored in a hot garage tastes like:

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The aroma is suggestive of baklava, light raw squash with salt, cedar-aged cream soda, cold Lipton iced tea, honey, a hint of chlorine, peeled sweet potato, and cedar cigar box inside a humidor. Flavor impressions include honey, mild squash, light brown sugar, vanilla cream soda aged in cedar wood, medium-sweet cane sugar, inhaling an unlit honey-dipped cigarillo, Lipton “Brisk” iced tea with a light lemon tanginess, no hop character, and a touch of brown paper bag leaving behind an aftertaste of loose tobacco, subtle prune and white raisin.

So many adjectives from a sip of beer. Thats one highly evolved olfactory system right there.

My dad found a box of coopers stout in his tin shed from his home brewing days when I was in early high school making it 12/13 years old. We gave it a try and it actually wasn't too bad which surprised me partly because of its age and partly due to his extreme dislike for hygiene and sanitation.

Reckon I may have a 20yo bottle of Tusker sitting in my shed.

My mate found an unopened case of Coopers PA in a shipping container on his property in the hunter valley, leftover from a party from about 4 years back. It regularly gets to 40C there in summer and they were on a shelf close to the top of the container so probably got to 60C+ on hot days. We cracked a few, they had a harsh acidity and almost a hot fusel taste. Like a badly brewed kit & kilo beer. If you chilled them down to near freezing they were drinkable but when they started warming up the harshness came back.

Last edited:
wine drinkers, id say, reviewing like that.
wish i had tools like that to comprehend beer, i'm either; i like, or it's c u b **** off...
;\
Its Tusker so why waste so many words. Probably could have covered off by saying it smelled like arse and tasted even worse.

My mate found an unopened case of Coopers PA in a shipping container on his property in the hunter valley, leftover from a party from about 4 years back. It regularly gets to 40C there in summer and they were on a shelf close to the top of the container so probably got to 60C+ on hot days. We cracked a few, they had a harsh acidity and almost a hot fusel taste. Like a badly brewed kit & kilo beer. If you chilled them down to near freezing they were drinkable but when they started warming up the harshness came back.
Now thats a real beer drinker.

A few years after moving house i found 2 crates of Pilsner that i have brewed maybe 3-4 years earlier, i thought it would be shit but it tasted better than ever.

Latest posts

Back