This is quick hello

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New to the site still looking around. I am in Brisbane Australia.
Any body know off an archive of beer recipes in Australia.
I am after the original Hannans lager brewed in Kalgoorlie WA before Alan Bond came along and swapped it for swan lager.
Also after Sharers lager and Burragarong bock as brewed by Geoff Sharer from Picton George iv hotel.
Cheers
Garry

1644827206062.png

Hi Gjs, and welcome aboard.

According to this old thread here from 2006, what was once called the Ironbark Brewery in the Swan Valley of Western Australia “bought the rights to the name” Hannan's Lager.

Ironbark

A quick Internet search shows that the Ironbark Brewery has since been renamed the Ironbark Tavern & Cidery and is located at 55 Benara Road, Caversham, WA, 6055. The website is:

Ironbark Tavern and Cidery .

Seems like a popular place with good tucker and music.

A quick check of the Federal Govt’s trademarks database shows that the legal owner of the trademark Hannan's Lager is a company called Hannan's Lager Australia Pty Ltd located at the same address as the Ironbark.

See: Trade Mark 1156830 | IP Australia | Trade Mark Search

I checked the current drinks menu at the Ironbark (by clicking on the ‘Menu’ tab at top of the home page) and Hannan's Lager isn’t listed. Maybe it is an occasional offering, or perhaps not hip enough for modern drinkers.

Maybe try contacting the Ironbark and asking to talk to the head brewer about how they go about replicating the old Hannan's Lager. He might not hand over their recipe but he might mention a few key ingredients or processes to use. A lot of professional brewers began as home brewers and are happy to help out fellow enthusiasts.

And maybe some AHBers out there in the hermit kingdom of WA :) maybe have some local info/advice.

Good luck, and post up your recipe if you get that far.

Edit: a quick video showing a walk around the Ironbark.

Last edited:
Welcome to AHB. Thanks for joining.

View attachment 121796

According to this old thread here from 2006, what was once called the Ironbark Brewery in the Swan Valley of Western Australia “bought the rights to the name” Hannan's Lager.

Ironbark

A quick Internet search shows that the Ironbark Brewery has since been renamed the Ironbark Tavern & Cidery and is located at 55 Benara Road, Caversham, WA, 6055. The website is:

A quick check of the Federal Govt’s trademarks database shows that the legal owner of the trademark Hannan's Lager is a company called Hannan's Lager Australia Pty Ltd located at the same address as the Ironbark.

I checked the current drinks menu at the Ironbark (by clicking on the ‘Menu’ tab at top of the home page) and Hannan's Lager isn’t listed. Maybe it is an occasional offering, or perhaps not hip enough for modern drinkers.

Maybe try contacting the Ironbark and asking to talk to the head brewer about how they go about replicating the old Hannan's Lager. He might not hand over their recipe but he might mention a few key ingredients or processes to use. A lot of professional brewers began as home brewers and are happy to help out fellow enthusiasts.

And maybe some AHBers out there in the hermit kingdom of WA :) maybe have some local info/advice.

Thank you for all effort you went to. That logo on the label is the same as the one I used to drink only difference was it had lager instead of Australia. I got in touch with that mob claiming to have original but wouldn't give up the secret.
It was a very good drop.

View attachment 121796

Ironbark

Unfortunately the beer brewed at Ironbark is very ordinary (IMO) so if they did make it I reckon it would not be a true representation.

I visited this place during a beer tasting tour of the Swan Valley (Mash, Elmars, Feral, Txoko, Duckstein, Homestead) and they by far the worst tasting beers I had that day. If I'd brewed them at home I'd have been disappointed.
This is my opinion and my palate so please don't flame me! :)

Unfortunately the beer brewed at Ironbark is very ordinary (IMO) so if they did make it I reckon it would not be a true representation.

I visited this place during a beer tasting tour of the Swan Valley (Mash, Elmars, Feral, Txoko, Duckstein, Homestead) and they by far the worst tasting beers I had that day. If I'd brewed them at home I'd have been disappointed.
This is my opinion and my palate so please don't flame me! :)
Thank you for the feedback. That will save me money. I wasted money a few years ago when I was reassured by those that took over the George IV hotel in Picton NSW that their sharers lager was the original so I had some couriered up to brisbane and it was terrible. Turns out they had it outsourced and brewed off site whereas the original was brewed at the George IV.
So I assume hannans would now be lost.

This beer was brewed by Mash, however they no longer brew this anymore. I was told it was good when they first brewed it and then it went bad. I did not have a chance to actually taste this beer.

I got in touch with Ironbark yesterday and they said the old owners took it with them. Who they were I do not know. I did ask if they had any contact details.

Hello Gjs, any updates on your search?

No luck. Still on hunt.
I will just have to keep chipping away at some of my recipes until I get it close to the sharers lager. One thing regarding hannans lager is what hops would have been around and easy to obtain back in late 60's early 70' I can't seem to find anything conclusive.
There are some history sites that talk about hannans brewery but don't give much info.
Cheers

I will just have to keep chipping away at some of my recipes until I get it close to the sharers lager.
Without realizing it, with the help of your research, you may already have achieved it. How was your last recipe?:)

I wasted money a few years ago when I was reassured by those that took over the George IV hotel in Picton NSW that their sharers lager was the original so I had some couriered up to brisbane and it was terrible. Turns out they had it outsourced and brewed off site whereas the original was brewed at the George IV.
They were indeed outsourced and brewed off site. I may be able help steer you in the direction of the original recipes if you pm me.

I have been in touch with the guy who owns the recipe and the beer will be brewed again soon. Perhaps the new Eclipse Brewery in Northam.

Latest posts

Back