This Is Just Cheating

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fifis101

Reaction score
OK so I went to my local brew shop to ask about making a choc stout. The thought was to get some cocao nibs, lactose powder ect but he just grabbed a bottle of this stuff & said this is all you need. Everything you're trying to do with all that stuff is all in the little bottle. I made the brew up last night & if it tastes anything like what it smelled like I'll be a happy man!

Attachments

• 20210706_163342.jpg
    20210706_163342.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 105
I wouldn’t have chosen that particular product but there is nothing new about using essences to flavour beers.
Last time I looked at a bottle of Young’s Chocolate Stout it said they used chocolate extract as well as coco. Rogue has made a whole business out of "flavouring" beers with a range of extracts.

The advantage of spirit essences is that they are fat free. All lipids (fats and oils) are pretty bad for head formation and retention. An essence is going to be fully water/alcohol soluble so no problems there. Also make getting the dose easy.
The one you have there has an artificial cream (like coffee whitening powder) built in. I'm not sure how that will afect the head on your beer. When making chocolate stout/porter I have used the Prestige Cream De Coco, to me it tastes just like whatever Young’s are using. Have also done a Raspberry Kölsch and Berliner Weis and have found some of the Oak and Bourbon essences very handy especially for fine tuning a flavour profile.

There are lots of other essence makers out there but personally I find Prestige the best.
Mark
1625613289764.png

I wouldn’t have chosen that particular product but there is nothing new about using essences to flavour beers.
Last time I looked at a bottle of Young’s Chocolate Stout it said they used chocolate extract as well as coco. Rogue has made a whole business out of "flavouring" beers with a range of extracts.

The advantage of spirit essences is that they are fat free. All lipids (fats and oils) are pretty bad for head formation and retention. An essence is going to be fully water/alcohol soluble so no problems there. Also make getting the dose easy.
The one you have there has an artificial cream (like coffee whitening powder) built in. I'm not sure how that will afect the head on your beer. When making chocolate stout/porter I have used the Prestige Cream De Coco, to me it tastes just like whatever Young’s are using. Have also done a Raspberry Kölsch and Berliner Weis and have found some of the Oak and Bourbon essences very handy especially for fine tuning a flavour profile.

There are lots of other essence makers out there but personally I find Prestige the best.
Mark
View attachment 120666
+1 if you can find it Mark

Back