This Any Good For Fermenting Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiro

Reaction score
As my fermenting fridge died I'm after another. I have a STC1000 for temp control.

Found this upright freezer on gumtree not too far from where I work http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/homeleigh/a...ight/1002182625

Spoken to the lady and all of the shelves come out. Size is perfect as I can fit 2 fermenters in there.

Wondering if this would be better or as good as a fridge? Pros and cons thanks.

That very bottom shelf above the bin looks like it will have cooling lines in it. Otherwise looks nice.

I don't see why not, people use chest freezers as kegerators quite often and run them at fridge temps. Freezers are often better insulated than fridges as well, which is a bonus. Looking that those shelves though, you'll need to sort out some shelf solution if you want to house 2 fermenters in there, as the glass shelf probably wouldn't take the weight of a full fermenter. Try a security screen for a window cut down to size, or something like that?

The shelf in my double fridge sits right above the lip of the bottom FV so ends up being supported by the one below YMMV, works out very well indeed.. also, it will support by itself, I was very nervous to begin with and tried a Cube full of water with nothing below and held well.

I was however unhappy with the temp differential between the two FV's and have since resorted to only fermenting one per fridge.

Yob

If you have the space, I'd recommend a chest freezer. They're better at everything and seem to last for donkeys years.
$175 seems a bit stiff.
Offer her $120 and see how you go..

Seems good, although $175 seems a bit high.

Chiro, I don't suppose you live in Kyogle? One of the members of our Brew Collective here is a fridge mechanic and can often source very cheap or free fridges and freezers. They're generally inoperative and either beyond repair or fixable, depending on your budget. If you're just after an insulated box I'll check and see what's available.

Chiro, I don't suppose you live in Kyogle? One of the members of our Brew Collective here is a fridge mechanic and can often source very cheap or free fridges and freezers. They're generally inoperative and either beyond repair or fixable, depending on your budget. If you're just after an insulated box I'll check and see what's available.

Funny you should say that. I grew up in Kyogle. I live in Ballina now. I've still got my old fermenting fridge if I want a insulated box. I'm after something with cooling to ferment in when it's warmer. Going to have a look at a few shops tomorrow. Don't mins spending a few $ if it's going to last. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back