Third time lucky ginger beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I found out that 500g ginger , grated gives about 300mls juice, so I should have enough for 3 brews. I will report."
Well my experience is quite different - I don't think you will ever get 3 (23 litre?) GB brews from a mere 500g.
Maybe you are happy with a less intense taste. I want a real ginger bite when I drink home brewed GB.
i had to read that twice tbh
i think he is substituting the 500gm of fresh ginger with the equivalent juice from the bottle.
the blurb says the bottled stuff is 99.7% ginger juice.
i just put my ginger through the fine julienne blades of a mandoline and give it a bit of a chop up.
no idea how much juice from 500gms.
(but i do know now, and so does SWMBO, that ginger puts a unremovable yellow stain on white plastic LOL)

"I found out that 500g ginger , grated gives about 300mls juice, so I should have enough for 3 brews. I will report."
Well my experience is quite different - I don't think you will ever get 3 (23 litre?) GB brews from a mere 500g.
Maybe you are happy with a less intense taste. I want a real ginger bite when I drink home brewed GB.
No, I said the above, meaning that in 900mls of juice, I will have enough for three brews, or the equivalent of 1.5kg of fresh ginger. Sorry if I didn't make it clear. And, I can assure you, with 500g grated ginger, equiv to around 300ls of juice is very gingery!

ER - hows that - what the heck does he expect his yield to be? Surely he will not get
3 batches of 23 litres out of 300 ml of extract no matter how good the extraction process.
Lets just see ..............................

I really think that some people can't understand the most basic English or maths! If 500g of ginger yields 300ml of juice, then a bottle containing 946ml of juice will yield 3x300mls, with a little left over, that I will divide equally. With me so far? So, if in 23 litres I use 500g ginger, grated, that equates to300-325juice.

Yeah but how will you split 325ml among 3 batches? ;)

Yeah but how will you split 325ml among 3 batches? ;)
I won't be. The bottle is nearly 1 litre. I need 300-ish mls per brew. So, I open the nearly-one litre bottle, pour 300 or so mls into the brew, close the bottle, refrigerate or freeze it. Make brew. Repeat. Make brew, repeat. Buy new bottle, make brew, repea......

I won't be. The bottle is nearly 1 litre. I need 300-ish mls per brew. So, I open the nearly-one litre bottle, pour 300 or so mls into the brew, close the bottle, refrigerate or freeze it. Make brew. Repeat. Make brew, repeat. Buy new bottle, make brew, repea......
Ahh, so what is the missing ingredient? Can of...(morgans/brigalow etc.)

1x tin light malt. I did use Morgans
500g ginger, grated, or 300ML JUICE!
2 or 3 lemons, sliced
2kg raw sugar (I'll use 1kg next time, to lower the alc)
1 x Safale 04
Boil a couple of litres of water, add the light malt, ginger and lemon
Give it 20 mins or so, add the sugar, and then proceed normally.
If you're using juice, I wouldn't boil it.
If you use the 2kg of sugar, it finishes at 6.59%, very easy drinking, but.....
I didn't use a Ginger Beer kit, because I don't like the slightly metallic taste the artificial sweetener gives it.

I was only making a joke. I think my humour is too dry for the written format hahah.

Sounds like a smart idea tbh.

I was only making a joke. I think my humour is too dry for the written format hahah.

Sounds like a smart idea tbh.
Sorry! Yeah, sometimes it's a little hard....Give it a go, though, you won't be disappointed.

Like I said;. lets wait & see.
Maths & smart ass comments won't make up for insufficiency of extracted "juice".

Well, I certainly wasn't making a "smart ass comment" I was merely saying, that the recipe I use required 500g of grated fresh ginger. I used it, and it was delicious, just the right degree of ginger heat I was looking for. I then looked around for a slightly cheaper alternative to the $47/kg fresh ginger. I contacted a ginger company on the North Coast of NSW, who told me that 500g of fresh ginger equated to roughly 300-325mlsof fresh ginger juice. So, I decided to give it a go, I will be using the equivalent in juice of fresh ginger, approx 325mls. We will indeed, wait and see.

Like I said;. lets wait & see.
Maths & smart ass comments won't make up for insufficiency of extracted "juice".
So because he's not brewing it how you told him to, or using something different to you, then he's a smart ass? This is like the chlorine thread all over again. It's like you take people not listening to you personally. It's a forums, and people are entitled to brew how they want, for their own tastes. If he wants to use 300ml of ginger, and finds the quantity to be what he enjoys, why do you have to be negative? It's like every post you make you're taking personal offence to someone not doing what you dictate. Let it go.

Looks like a smart way to go. I also hate the taste of artificial sweetners. Might have to give this a try. The cost of fresh ginger is what has stopped me experimenting.

So I'm going to do the Powderkeg GB but thinking of throwing it on the yeast cake from a Pale Ale I've got fermenting.
Any thoughts?

If the us05 is still going then you shouldn't have a problem at all. Never used the bry97

If the us05 is still going then you shouldn't have a problem at all. Never used the bry97
There will be a bit of residue from the ferment. About a litre...
Would it give it a beery taste do you think?

Shouldn't through the taste of the ginger. I've not tried it but i can't see a problem

Latest posts

Back