Third Brew - Looking for something tasty and simple

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bax

Reaction score
Well, I'm looking for some suggestions, it took me quite a while to get through the second brew, and I was hoping to do something light, as it has been really warm here lately.

But, with the weather cooling down a touch, I wouldn't mind something full bodied again. Can anybody recommend me a good extract recipe that doesn't require any boiling or stuffing around with grains etc. The most I am willing to do is maybe drop in some hops, could preboil them if need be.

Something crisp.

Help please guys!

Not that it's much help, but if you're after a recipe with no "boiling or stuffing around with grains", then technically you'll need a kit (k&k) recipe, not an extract recipe.

Full bodied yet crisp confuses me a bit, kinda sounds like they clash. I'm probably misunderstanding your intent...can you name a commercial brew that meets those criteria? That'll help us recommend a k&k recipe.

Without starting a "extract vs xxxxxx" war - you aren't likely to get crisp from an extract brew. You'll get a pretty decent brew - but you are going to need to hop it at the least.

By extract, based on your OP, I assume you mean "Kits & Bits" rather than extract?

You might need to clarify just a little bit what you are doing/have done, and I'm sure you'll get the help required.

Yep sorry, first post is quite scattered when I look back at it. With the weather cooling down I almost wouldn't mind trying something darker, with a lot of body. But having said that I'm quite happy to go an amber ale or something with a better mouthfeel.

I was looking at the Coopers Irish Red Ale kit that they had as their recipe of the month. It's:

1 x 1.7kg Australian Pale Ale beer kit
1 x 500g Coopers Light Dry Malt
1 x 100g Crystal Malt
1 x 50g Roasted Barley
1 x English Ale Yeast

Bax said:
Yep sorry, first post is quite scattered when I look back at it. With the weather cooling down I almost wouldn't mind trying something darker, with a lot of body. But having said that I'm quite happy to go an amber ale or something with a better mouthfeel.
Black IPA FTW!

Seriously though - there's an extract recipe for Dr Smurto's Golden Ale (DSGA - a legendary beer). The original recipe is AG, but there is an extract one floating around. It might even be with ianh's extract recipe excel sheet.

That will likely see you closer to where you'd like to be.

If you want body and an English Ale Yeast - steer away from Nottingham - it's highly attenuative and will strip, rather than give body. Mightn't be so much an issue with extract (given the dehydration process does destroy some enzymes), but it certainly is with fresh wort.

Goomba

ESB - MMM
3Kg Malt extract
500g Raw Sugar
28g Fuggles @ 60min
14g Fuggles @ 0min
SafAle - US05 Yeast.

You only need to boil 5-8L of water with the extract and hops. Its worth the time.

1.7 kg Coopers IPA
1.5kg liquid amber malt
20g b saaz (moetuka) @ 15
40g b saaz (moetuka) dry
Us 05 or kit yeast

Simple, no grains. Small hop boil.
Darker, lots of body, lots of taste - ticks all the boxes!!

Don't be too scared of using grains, Bax.
With that recipe you only need a coffee plunger to steep them in for 30min or so.
Strain & rinse the grain a few times then boil that water up for about 15min to kill any nasties. You can add some hops to this water while it's boiling.

Thanks guys, next task will be finding out what the local HBS actually has in terms of hops and yeasts. I know they didn't have a huge selection.

I think I'll give that Irish Amber ale a go. Could I still use US05 with it?

Bax said:
Thanks guys, next task will be finding out what the local HBS actually has in terms of hops and yeasts. I know they didn't have a huge selection.

Give the answerers your location and they may know of a LHBS that you may not have yet known about (or one that's a little bit of a drive, but better stocked).

Bax said:
You could, but it won't be as "Irish" an ale if you use an American Ale yeast. Something like Danstar Windsor English Ale yeast should make it more authentic.

What makes it irish? Just a different flavour profile? I'll see what the local has.

I'm in Rockhampton - I know of two home brew shops here, and one has nothing much at all. I think most of my stuff has to be delivered.

Bax said:
What makes it irish? Just a different flavour profile? I'll see what the local has.
Yes, the yeast has a lot to do with the end flavour. So do the hops, but the hopping has been done for you in a kit can, so other than adding your own english hops (e.g. fuggles) on top, your yeast choice is all you can change.

Have a read of the descriptions for BRY-97 and Windsor on Danstar's website, you'll see what I mean.

Back