Thinking Of Brewing This What Do You Reckon?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thefatdoghead

Reaction score
10 min Black IPA
Total for 1.0 batch:43L
10.0 kg Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
0.5 kg Carapils/Carafoam

1.0 kg Carafa Special TYPE III(debittered black)

240.0 g Sorachi Ace (12.8%) @ 10min
0.93 tsp whirlfloc
1.87 tsp Wyeast Nutrient
130.87 mL WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Tossing up the Sorachi Ace with Motueka saaz-b

Never tried either of these hops but would like some advice on if it's going to work well?
:icon_cheers:

with that much sorachi ace it will end up tasting like lemon dishwashing liquid. in my experience it is a hop best used sparingly.

I have not been a fan of this hop the few times I've tried it in excess quantities. Ferals Golden Ace is one of the better beers using this hop but the earlier version was quite full on. If you've got a heap of SaazB I would use that with a smaller amount of sorachi ace.

I've made something very similar, but had 500g of Carafa3 rather than your 1kg. For me, the 500g was enough. It wasn't really pronounced but it was deffo there.

I also used lots of simcoe, centennial, amarillo and cascade. It was a bit of a treat!

Ok i'll try the Motueka and maybe mix with some Saaz-D Riwaka. Don't want any flavour from the black malt just the colour thats why I thought Caraffa III but iv'e never used it so it's a learning curve.
:icon_cheers:

Almost %10 of Carafa III will definitely impart a flavour. I like it, but don't think of it as a 'dye' type additive. I use the carafa range quite a lot as it gives a lovely smooth flavour.

Back