Think I've gone and got my first infection

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonboyno81

Reaction score
So I've managed to brew several batches without an infection. This time something different is going on.

After 24 hours there was a decent amount of Krausen but I noticed there were no bubbles in the airlock. After 48 hours still the same. The gravity has dropped from the OG from about 1040 to 1012 and it tastes ok. Nothing pungent or overpowering. Actually tastes pretty good.

Pic below.

I did use some new equipment but sterilised and sanitised the shit out of it.

Any of our experts here have any thoughts or advice?
20181022_195800-1512x2016.jpeg

So I've managed to brew several batches without an infection. This time something different is going on.

After 24 hours there was a decent amount of Krausen but I noticed there were no bubbles in the airlock. After 48 hours still the same. The gravity has dropped from the OG from about 1040 to 1012 and it tastes ok. Nothing pungent or overpowering. Actually tastes pretty good.

Pic below.

Any of our experts here have any thoughts or advice? View attachment 113922
Sorry meant to add at 48 hours I took the picture and the Krausen had gone. Just left the ring around it. I also did have a slight leak on the tap of the fermenter which only lasted a couple.of hours before I fixed it up.

Make sure your lid is on tight, any gases are always gonna take the easiest path so even a slight leak past the seal can prevent your air lock bubbling.

Far fron an expert but would think if it tastes ok, it’s good

Pic below.

Any of our experts here have any thoughts or advice? View attachment 113922

Like others have said if it tastes OK its probably OK.

DO try and resist the urge to take off the lid, you will introduce oxygen and potentially infect a beer that was fine beforehand.

Leave it be and let the yeast do their thing. Don't go too much off the airlock, as Garagebrew says often the CO2 will find another way out. Let the SG settle, give it a couple of days more then cold crash if you want.

Looks fine to me too and the chain of events sounds pretty normal.

I wouldn't worry about the airlock or trying to get a decent seal on it if it isn't completely airtight. I've been using gaffer tape over the hole in the lid for years and just backing it off a bit so the gas can escape. Works perfectly fine. I did buy a second fermenter recently which also has an airlock, which I set up and used on a brew recently. Took me back a bit to my early days with the thing bubbling away and whatever but the hydrometer is the best method we have at home for determining when fermentation has finished.

with time you'll just know when its done too . I remember my first 5 to 10 brews checking the damn thing every day or 2nd day .These days I do a check at about 10 then 12 . and 98% of beers are done by then

I don't even wait that long, they're usually done in 7 days or less so I take readings after 7 and 9 days. They're almost always the same as each other so I figure from that that the beer has had enough 'cleanup' time and just crash chill it after taking the second reading.

Looks fine to me too and the chain of events sounds pretty normal.

I wouldn't worry about the airlock or trying to get a decent seal on it if it isn't completely airtight. I've been using gaffer tape over the hole in the lid for years and just backing it off a bit so the gas can escape. Works perfectly fine. I did buy a second fermenter recently which also has an airlock, which I set up and used on a brew recently. Took me back a bit to my early days with the thing bubbling away and whatever but the hydrometer is the best method we have at home for determining when fermentation has finished.
For some years now, I have been using a freezer bag weighed down with a block of wood over it to cap the hole in the lid of the fermenter, as my brew fridge could not accommodate the extra height of the airlock. I spray the lid of the fermenter, and the mating side of the freezer bag with sanitiser before using, and have had no issues relating to this. The block of wood and plastic bag stops air going in, and the weight of the block of wood allows the gas to vent when the pressure builds enough to lift the wood over the hole in the lid.

Back