Things Looking Up In The 'rat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, the mallow is great for it's selection of craft beers... Even better is Tuesday local's night where dinner is at lunch prices and $6 pints. B) Good parma there too!

Called in to the Mallow yesterday for a couple of pots, and all I can say, is YUMMY!!
Will certainly be "coincidentally" driving past more often in the future.

So looking forward to dropping by the Mallow when I can get a chance. Dreaming of a pint of Holgate Temptress.

For anyone interested, Dans Ballarat has reduced all the Innis and Gunn stubbies down to $3.90. I just bought two (from towards the back of the pile) and they taste fine. Not that I fall over myself to get to this beer, but just in case anyone does...

...I also went to the Mallow again on Sunday with the full set up of 11 craft beers on tap. I have to admit (and those of you who know me might just sigh and roll your eyes) I didn't find any of the choices particularly interesting. I had a two birds pale ale thing which did what it said on the box, but nothing out of the ordinary was available on tap...I preferred it when there were only four taps and one of them was a saison or a biere de garde etc. And the poor old temptress is being served about 8c too cold. Anyway.

...I also went to the Mallow again on Sunday with the full set up of 11 craft beers on tap. I have to admit (and those of you who know me might just sigh and roll your eyes) I didn't find any of the choices particularly interesting. I had a two birds pale ale thing which did what it said on the box, but nothing out of the ordinary was available on tap...I preferred it when there were only four taps and one of them was a saison or a biere de garde etc. And the poor old temptress is being served about 8c too cold. Anyway.

Sigh... :rolleyes:
;) :icon_cheers:
I'm there Friday night for a work function. Do you think they would mind if I called in Thursday, took the temptress out of the cool room and then turned up Friday with my beer engine :p
I'll take the glass half full approach and say its better to have craft beer being served too cold than not there at all I suppose...

I'll take the glass half full approach and say its better to have craft beer being served too cold than not there at all I suppose...

Haha touche.

Yes you're right of course, I guess the initial experiences I've had there have all been fantastic (mind you some of those lazy Sundays discussing the nuances of creswick apiaries over a few pints in the Autumn sun probably set a benchmark haha), so I perhaps wasn't 'in the zone'. But in my defence, I stand by my earlier comment wishing there was something a little less conventional on tap - but again if you want regular punters to shift from their regular CUB to a new regular product then you can't really afford to shake things up too much in this town. Keen to see what happens down at the Bridge!

Yes, those sunday's need to be reinstated once the arctic winter finishes. The bees will be a-buzzin by then too!

I'm also keen to see what happens at the bridge. Given this new venture is essentially being done by O'brien Brewery, I do hope they branch out from their current range and head down the road of a good selection of 'stock' beer with a roatation of 1-off 'out-there' beers.

If it ends up being a brew pub with nothing but the 'rat bitter on tap, then that would be a missed opportunity.

;) :icon_cheers:
I'm there Friday night for a work function. Do you think they would mind if I called in Thursday, took the temptress out of the cool room and then turned up Friday with my beer engine :p
At one of the Newcastle pubs, they had Temptress on the pump, at ambient too, IIRC

Les the showoff

Yes, those sunday's need to be reinstated once the arctic winter finishes. The bees will be a-buzzin by then too!

I'm also keen to see what happens at the bridge. Given this new venture is essentially being done by O'brien Brewery, I do hope they branch out from their current range and head down the road of a good selection of 'stock' beer with a roatation of 1-off 'out-there' beers.

If it ends up being a brew pub with nothing but the 'rat bitter on tap, then that would be a missed opportunity.
That's the plan for both gluten free and regular ranges. It'll probably be something like this : gluten free range will have 3 current regulars (lager, pale and light) and a seasonal (current brown plus a few new ones Belgian, IPA, stout etc...), The Rat range will expand to something similar with a few regulars and rotating specials.

Moving in September then producing hard to catch back up on stock, bar open in November and planning to have a couple of new beers ready in time for the beer festival in January. Should keep me busy ;)

O'Brien Premium Lager is currently on tap at The Bridge and will be alternating with the Pale Ale until we move in and have some Rat to keg. I'm heading down this evening to do some quality control testing :drinks:

Cheers, Andrew.

That's the plan for both gluten free and regular ranges. It'll probably be something like this : gluten free range will have 3 current regulars (lager, pale and light) and a seasonal (current brown plus a few new ones Belgian, IPA, stout etc...), The Rat range will expand to something similar with a few regulars and rotating specials.

Moving in September then producing hard to catch back up on stock, bar open in November and planning to have a couple of new beers ready in time for the beer festival in January. Should keep me busy ;)

O'Brien Premium Lager is currently on tap at The Bridge and will be alternating with the Pale Ale until we move in and have some Rat to keg. I'm heading down this evening to do some quality control testing :drinks:

Cheers, Andrew.

Good stuff! You slipped in the word 'belgian' there so that makes me happy! Hope it goes ahead in leaps and bounds and you are given a bit of 'free reign' in terms of the styles on offer.

Andrew, the brown is a beauty, it would be great to have that on tap! I also mirror Wakka's enthusiasm for something Belgian. Pity you can't get a dried saison yeast as I reckon non-barley base malts in a nice dry saison would be a bloody cracker!

By late November I'll potentially be looking to celebrate/commiserate my honours thesis results and acceptance/rejection of PhD application (at my parents and girlfriends expense), so if you can have everything sorted by then, that would be great thanks. :lol:

Les: the only rejoinder we have to that is that we are several hundred kilometres closer to the beer on pump at the source than you, but even then it's an hours drive away so a driver is required (I'm not one to travel that far for only one pint)!!! Dammit!

Back