These Flies

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bradsbrew

The little bar flies that can gather around the beer room have been around but never enough for concern. Lately I have a plague well not really a plague but heaps. I have used fly spray and that mortein "professional" spray but no luck the buggers keep returning.

Anyone got a method they use to keep them away.

Cheers

Brad you have to break the breeding cycle.
They breed in stagnant water so flush all drains with bleach or something else they can't breed in.
Also flypaper works a treat to clean up the ones that are left.

They breed in the drains, so bleach is the go, get quite a few litres from ALDI and zap them. Also do you have paw paws or other fruit in the garden?
Fruit fly baits actually contain yeast. They love it which is why they are favouring your premises. Every time you pour trub or yeast cake down the drains it's like Brad's fruit fly farm best practice.

I had heaps of them when I lived at my last place, bleach fixed them plus never have any fruit etc out of the fridge.

Like they say

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

:p

Apart from cleaning up spills, I use those little red condoms that Craftbrewer sells. They go on the taps.
The red ones didn't fit so i needed the black ones :D . Thanks Razz but its not just the taps and tray it everywhere. I had to walk through a swarm of them to get to the fridge.

Brad you have to break the breeding cycle.
They breed in stagnant water so flush all drains with bleach or something else they can't breed in.
Also flypaper works a treat to clean up the ones that are left.
Thanks Dan, looks like the laundry and downstairs shower will be getting a good chlorine wash to try and flush the bastards out.

Cheers

They breed in the drains, so bleach is the go, get quite a few litres from ALDI and zap them. Also do you have paw paws or other fruit in the garden?
Fruit fly baits actually contain yeast. They love it which is why they are favouring your premises. Every time you pour trub or yeast cake down the drains it's like Brad's fruit fly farm best practice.

I had heaps of them when I lived at my last place, bleach fixed them plus never have any fruit etc out of the fridge.

Like they say

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

:p
Ahh and I have bananas growing near the pool.

Thanks fellas this helping heaps. Hope it helps others as well

Cheers

Ahh and I have bananas growing near the pool.

Thanks fellas this helping heaps. Hope it helps others as well

Cheers

We got them in plague proportions as well, doesn't help that there's a Carambola tree on front dumping a few kg of fruit on the ground everyday :angry:
Serious haircut coming tree, just you wait.

Got the bastards here too.Not in plague proportions tho they like to climb up the tap.Just wrap the tap up when not in use and ignore the little pricks otherwise.

bradsbrew said:
The little bar flies that can gather around the beer room have been around but never enough for concern. Lately I have a plague well not really a plague but heaps. I have used fly spray and that mortein "professional" spray but no luck the buggers keep returning.

Anyone got a method they use to keep them away.

Cheers

la nina gave us heaps of rain hence heaps of bugs n that , just roll with it x

I religiously use the fawcett plugs to stop the bastards fouling up my outdoor key fridge. Nothing worse than one of the buggers swimming around in your freshly poured beer

I agree, bleach down everything, even clean the fridge inside and out with it to get rid of any smells from it and dump some through the drains.

Also don't forget the funnel type traps. Get an old coke bottle, cut the top funnel section of it, and put it back on upside down. Throw in a inch deep orange juice (or anything sweet) the flys get in there and are too stupid to get back out. You will be supprised how many it catches.

i soak my drip tray in bleach and then put a tiny amount of diluted bleach in the tray,
the smell must piss them off but its a must to clean and rinse the tray daily or the pricks return.

If your on a septic system don't pour bleach down the drains, it'll kill your system.

batz

If your on a septic system don't pour bleach down the drains, it'll kill your system.

batz

+1

Used to pour the bleach mix I used to clean fermenters and bottles with when I was still at the parents place who owned a septic system.

I remember them having a few problems with it soon after... :ph34r:

Sponge

'Course, you blokes could all try moving to Adelaide ... no fruit flies here. God doesn't allow these pesky critters in his country. :D

[quote name='Ol'Wobbly' post='896220' date='Mar 29 2012, 09:49 PM']'Course, you blokes could all try moving to Adelaide ... no fruit flies here. God doesn't allow these pesky critters in his country. :D[/quote]

put a box fan in front of a black light or grow light. Face fan so it blows toward the light... vacuum often

[quote name='Ol'Wobbly' post='896220' date='Mar 30 2012, 01:19 PM']'Course, you blokes could all try moving to Adelaide ... no fruit flies here. God doesn't allow these pesky critters in his country. :D[/quote]

I suspect they are talking about vinegar flies, the sort of flies you see around the fruit bowl aka as Drosophila.

I have them in my bar if the drip tray gets a little full.

tnd

I agree, bleach down everything, even clean the fridge inside and out with it to get rid of any smells from it and dump some through the drains.

Also don't forget the funnel type traps. Get an old coke bottle, cut the top funnel section of it, and put it back on upside down. Throw in a inch deep orange juice (or anything sweet) the flys get in there and are too stupid to get back out. You will be supprised how many it catches.
Seconding this. I had great luck with cider vinegar with a drop of washing detergent to break the surface tension.

Latest posts

Back