thermostats, temp controllers, etc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyane

Reaction score
Acquired a grarage fridge over the holidays and would like to get an ac controller with temperature probe.
Seems simple enough: like a timer you plug your fridge into but with a temperature probe instead of a clock.

Seems you can spend from $20 to $100 on these things.

Then there's something like this for $60 + p/p
... which looks suspiciously like this. for about $21 incl. postage.
What's going on there?

Are these as rubbish as they look? Anyone use it?

And there's a couple of kits at jaycar, but IANAE.

Interested to hear what youse use. Cheers

Edit: another question: with the Brewmate/Fridgemate controllers, is there any soldering involved or just a matter of strip and clip?

Go the tempmate as it has cooling and heating in the same unit and as many will attest here, they work well.

No soldering involved but make sure you know what you're doing as it is 240V. Above all make sure it is properly earthed.

I had a sparky mate look over mine after I wired it and he signed it off for me.

Lots of threads around here with wiring advice, diagrams and pictures.

For that second one at $21, search on here for "stc-1000", you will find a lot of people use them and you'll even find all the wiring diagrams etc. They even switch between heating and cooling automatically. I have several of them :)

QldKev said:
For that second one at $21, search on here for "stc-1000", you will find a lot of people use them and you'll even find all the wiring diagrams etc. They even switch between heating and cooling automatically. I have several of them :)
+1 for the STC-1000, I have more than 'several' but they work very well.

i use the jet 200 in my fermentation fridge, is it rubbish? probably, does it work? kinda

i'v had mine for over a year, it always holds steady temperature but just not the temperature thats written on the read out. i have a thermometer in the fridge as well to check what the temp is, at normal ale temps its 2 degree out ie. i set it for 18, but it's actually 20. at lager temps, it's even further out.

i would not hesitate to tell some one to grab one because, well, it does work ... kinda. but if you have the money, go buy something better :)

DarkFaerytale said:
i use the jet 200 in my fermentation fridge, is it rubbish? probably, does it work? kinda

i'v had mine for over a year, it always holds steady temperature but just not the temperature thats written on the read out. i have a thermometer in the fridge as well to check what the temp is, at normal ale temps its 2 degree out ie. i set it for 18, but it's actually 20. at lager temps, it's even further out.

i would not hesitate to tell some one to grab one because, well, it does work ... kinda. but if you have the money, go buy something better :)

Does the jet 200 have a calibration? On the stc-1000 menu option F4 would allow you to adjust out the 2 degree difference.

QldKev

nope, it's a simple plug and play affair. has a heating setting and a cooling setting but not one that manages both at the same time

Thanks for the tips.
Anyone get their stc-1000 from a Hong Kong seller on eBay? (less than 50% of the retail price).
Are they the same thing or a cheapo chinese knock off?

(Retailers need not reply :)

wyane said:
Thanks for the tips.
Anyone get their stc-1000 from a Hong Kong seller on eBay? (less than 50% of the retail price).

(Retailers need not reply :)
Yep.
I got two from this guy
I got them a couple of weeks apart. Delivery was about two weeks or less after payment via PayPal.
If you decide to order from Hong Kong, I highly recommend this guy.

wyane said:
I think most everyone got their STC-1000 from Ebay, and that they're all made in China.
Anyone selling them for more is simply adding a margin to the exact same product - there is no cheapo-knockoff because they're all cheapo-Chinese made (but I've never had a problem with mine).

Latest posts

Back