Thermostat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Ordered this thermostat for my HLT today , have a 1200w heating element fitted to the keg (HLT)

You can just dail up the temp required , cool hey?

See it here

stuffed that up did'nt I ?
try again not sure how to do this

Try this here

OK I give up

i enquired about this a while back.
havent got around to getting all my hlt needs together yet.
though of this as a bit of a luxury item.

im interested on how easy it is to put together
and how well it works.

crackers

Can it switch 1200w @ 240v on its own?

Thanks guys
Not what I expected at all , just canned the order !

what was it you expected it to do batz

it took them a while for them to clarify if it would work and they told me yes.

crackers

Well I was going to use it to control my 1200w element in my HLT , dial up the mash temp and when it hit it away we go , also have a copper tube coil inside it for herms.
They told me ( after my last call )
it will monitior the temp. and alarm will go off if temp. is to hi or low.
But not control the element , guy I talked to did'nt seem to sure , so scrapped the idea , will go with a simple dial thermostat.
I will monitor it myself and mark my own temps on the knob

this is the reply i got after the salesman refer to the service desk

The K 6110 has two relay outputs, one turns on when a certain temperature is reached the other turns off when a certain temperature is reached. So it will work well with a heating element.

then with the pdf file

You can see the over temp and under temp relay outputs. These outputs are
12V when active, so the easiest way to use them is to drive a 12V relay
which will turn on/off the heater. It all depends on the voltage of the
heater if it is 12V a relay would be fine but a 240VAC heater really needs a
bit more thought in the design.

If you not sure how the control a 240VAC heater I would talk to someone like
a electrician about what to do.

crackers

mmmmmmmmm..........
Too hard basket I call it !
:huh:

Yeah, not as simple as one would think. I bought a Johnson Controls A19 thermostat (38-121oC) off ebay as a spur of the moment thing. You can't run an element off it directly, which I thought would be the case but I need to fit a 12V relay the same as above. However, I am in the lucky position that a mate that lives in the flat behind me who's an electrical engineer had a look at it and has worked out a way for me to run it. Without his help I think I would have been stuck.

What he's come up with is a design that throws a dual relay that will power both my elements and to power the thermostat a 12V supply is needed, which as an aside, I will also use a 12V supply to power a windscreen wiper motor that will be connected to a paddle to keep the water in the HLT moving so that my thermostat will be more accurate and provide proper mixing. When I get it made I'll post a diagram of it all in case anyone else wants to use the same idea. I've been pretty lucky with it and I didn't really back myself playing around with 240V even though I do have a little background in basic electronics.

Hope this is of some help??

Justin

I was planning on the same idea with the wiper motor!
Great minds think alike ! :eek:

Back