Thermostat Control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to join the fan club, I've got exactly the same one and have had 2 years of top service out of it. It's keeping my current brew at 17-18 as I write ;)

Shawn.

jimi said:
They're not much good if you're using a fridge and the lady of the house wants to keep stuff in the freezer.
[post="89673"][/post]​

I don't think you could do that with any kind of thermostat.

captainbrewer said:
Thanks Guys

That is beautiful, I will be buying one and be up and running shortly.

Will now have the last glass of pilsner from the keg, my 5th and best brew yet, all kits. Things can only get better.
[post="89702"][/post]​

Captainbrewer, what kit was it?

Quote from I'm_Hopping_mad: "yer i called tobin today and they told me thats no good for me and you dont know wot ya on about pumpy sorry but thats wot he said"

That's an interesting response from the Tobins bloke Hopping. But Pumpy is correct in that Tobins do sell a 0-40C thermostat in the $38 range, and a lot of us are using them. No they aren't a prebuilt thermostat-which it sounds like that's what your after-but there isn't much to building one.

If you were to do a search for "Tobins" and/or "thermostat" on here you'd find the thread where I have placed the wiring diagram on how to wire and build the tobins thermostat-it's in a very basic format for all to follow. MAH has also posted pics on the units.

I'm not suggesting you build one because obviously you don't want to do that and don't trust your electrical skills and that's fine, but I'm just saying. Anyway, I posted this reply because this info might be good for other new comers to the forum that are reading this topic and are after a thermostat on the cheap. Some new people might not be aware of the Tobins thermostat (and other equivalents).

Cheers, Justin

Edit: Spelling :rolleyes:

The ADLO was $113 delivered to QLD, being an electronics tech in a previous life I went strait for the easy option. By the time you buy the thermostat and cap, vernier knob, hobby box, flush mount GPO, plug and lead then put it together and calibrate, two brews would have flown by. All the running around for bits in the 4wd would have wiped out any savings. They make life so much easier. Use stick backed velcro and attach the control to the side of the fridge. Tape the cap tube to the side of the fridge with gaffer tape or similar to protect it from snags. Run it in around the door and tape it inside the fridge (dont kink the tube). The door seal will seal over the tube entry easily as it's very small. Fully transportable to other fridges/freezers as required. Used a tricky dicky battery powered digital thermometer (inside/outside temp type) and did the same thing. Mounted it with velcro at eye height and ran the outside sensor cable in through the door opening beside the cap tube. Tape mount the sensor away from the thermostat capillary or even on your fermenter. My ADLOHeat maintains a 1.8 Deg range.

Justin said:
If you were to do a search for "Tobins" and/or "thermostat" on here you'd find the thread where I have placed the wiring diagram on how to wire and build the tobins thermostat-it's in a very basic format for all to follow. MAH has also posted pics on the units.

[post="89796"][/post]​

Mine work well and I recommend them highly. :beerbang:

However, given my druthers I would have followed Justin's instructions. Not difficult to wire up at all. At $38 a pop for the Tobins jobbies you'd be saving yourself a motzah. :)

To the tool-challenged. Go for the Aldoheat and enjoy trouble-free service. For the handypeople of the forum go the Tobins and probably enjoy the same trouble-free service for a lot less.

Warren -

Each to their own, if you want the prebuilt pay the price. But I disagree with all the extra expense and running round on the home made one-(depending on where you live of course).

A trip to Jaycar/Dicksmiths for a $4 jiffy box (but really any box will do, Jiffys are just a convenient size) and a packet of blade/spade connectors (you only need two females). Grab a $4 extension lead next time your at the supermarket and your done. The thermostats delivered to your door for $9 Express and "includes" a knob. Drill two holes in the jiffy box and install the thermostat with supplied nuts. Cut into your extension lead half way along (or where ever you want to slice into it), get access to the active wire that you will cut. Push it through the second hole in the jiffy box and attach spade connectors and clip them onto the thermostat. Close box. Done. No extra calibration needed that you wouldn't do with the ALDO anyway.

What can be easier than that? You don't need flush mount GPO's if you utilise the male/female plugs on the extension cord.

I don't want to discourage anyone from building one. For $60 you should have your thermostat built and it will be probably the best $60 spent in your brewery. Temp control is a great improvement to beer quality.

Cheers, Justin

hey justin the guy from tobin said that product
is no good for wot i need and i would need a electrian
to install it

im_hoppin_mad said:
hey justin the guy from tobin said that product
is no good for wot i need and i would need a electrian
to install it
[post="89821"][/post]​

He has to say that [public risk] and a when there are ZZZZZ's involved a qualified electrician is required to wire it up. I have to say that.

I've got an ADLO unit too - it's a beauty for the handtool challenged but I must admit that Justin's input and explanation on how to build a unit with the Tobins controller (search for tobins) nearly had me hooked - but knowing my luck I'd turn myself into a crispy critter!!

Do whatever needs to be done - but crank up the lagers!!

Cheers,
TL

yes there is but its not hard soldering but then again im an electronics tech

I just hate the idea of pulling the bloody fridge apart....Personally I would go the lazy option...

Being a tech by trade I know that the Tobins thermostate is only going to cost $40, and it will be the best option.

But

By the time saturday ( or sunday) comes around the whole concept of quickly putting a thermostate in the fridge becomes lost

6am..Roosters having crowing competition and dog barking at roos from beneath bedroom windo

6:30 Baby wakes up and DEMANDS attention. get from from missus as she mummbles " its YOUR turn

9:00 Has shower after finally burping/feeding/burping baby

9:15 Food

9:30 Asked by missus to do "small favour" in house.

09:31 informs said missus of intention to install thermostat in fridge and finally remove off verendah

5:30pm Finally finishes "small favours" requested by missus

5:31 Gets tools from van and starts to pull fridge apart

5:35 Informed that young bloke requires " his dad " for a short period

7:30 Starts BBQ

9:30 Half pissed on wine and beer

Next day

Fridge and tools still on verandah...

You don't pull the fridge apart. You make an external unit like th ALDO.

Thunderlips said:
captainbrewer said:
Thanks Guys

That is beautiful, I will be buying one and be up and running shortly.

Will now have the last glass of pilsner from the keg, my 5th and best brew yet, all kits. Things can only get better.
[post="89702"][/post]​

Captainbrewer, what kit was it?
[post="89770"][/post]​

Thunderlips

It was a Muntons Premium Pilsner kit, 500 grams dextrose, 1 kilogram light dry malt, 1 saz hops tea bag method, 1 saz hops added to wort as is, saflager s-23 yeast, brewed at 22-24 degrees. Would like brewed a bit cooler but have no control over this at the moment, it is in the lap of the gods.

captainbrewer said:
It was a Muntons Premium Pilsner kit, 500 grams dextrose
[post="90046"][/post]​

Thanks. I haven't tried a Muntons kit yet, well, I did once try a Beermakers Munich Lager, which I believe is made by Muntons, and it was great.
I'll keep an eye out for the pilsner.
To keep on topic...:)
I'll need another one of those thermostats in a short while since like you I plan on getting a chest freezer and sticking a font on top. I've never had a problem with the one that I use with my fermenting fridge.

Justin

As above except replace " pull fridge apart" with " search shed and van for bits to make unit work without killing myself"

Some times it is just as easy to buy the pre-made one ind plug the fridge into it...

I am getting the Adlo very soon and have a question.
When You run them where do you set the fridge thermostat to?
Full up I presume?

johnno

johnno said:
I am getting the Adlo very soon and have a question.
When You run them where do you set the fridge thermostat to?
Full up I presume?

johnno
[post="92089"][/post]​

Johnno

For fermentation I keep the fridge therm on the lowest (warmest) setting. Worries me that the fridge would cycle on and off too often otherwise. When lagering I set the fridge to a lower setting mainly because the fridge seems to struggle to get to lagering temps . Just takes a bit of trial and error with the fridge in question.

Warren -

Back