Thermomix

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diggs

Reaction score
Wife just bought the cheapo Kogan version, first thought is - how can I use this for homebrew???

Once I know what that means I might give it a go! :D

Can I use this technique to enhance a Coopers kit? Probably a lager or stout at the moment.

I have only done one brew and am looking at this technique out of interest. I have access to a Thermomix and some Rye malts and also some Carabohemian Malt. The Thermomix can hold a temperature of 60° or 70° for a duration up to an hour or longer. Would these temperatures be satisfactory for sterilisation? Or would it be better is to start with boiled water let it cool to the recommended temperature and then add the grain?

The other question would be how much malt grain would be needed? Then ground to what fineness and then steeped or mashed at what temperature for what duration?

What would the technique be called? Mini mash? Steeping? Or something else?

Thanks for your help. I am full of questions particularly when it comes to this homebrew caper!

60 -70 deg is a bit low to sterilise grain but a great temp for partial mashing base malt or steeping spec malg.

Liquor from these should always be boiled afterwards anyway.

Amount depends on grain type and desired effect.

Base malt needs mashing (activation of enzymes to convert starch to sugar).

Specialty malt requires only steeping (soaking of cracked grain).

Particle size depends a bit on process but about the consistency of crushed nuts works well. Husk needs cracking on most malts (some like wheat are huskless). Those who use a bag to separate can get away with finer grind and roast malts can also be ground finer.

Hi manticle I missed your reply as I am still learning how to use this forum. Sorry for the delay.

This sounds interesting and promising. The device can also boil at 100° so that helps with the sterility and mashing side of things.

So I guess what I'm trying to do is to add 1 to 2 lt. of either mash or a steeped liquid to the regular Coopers kit. (I am trying out the terminology.)

Where could I look for more information on this sort of subject? At the moment is a little bit of chicken and egg as I need to get the right terms to be able to search the correct areas.

It is a bit of a crossover between straight up and down home brewing (enhancing extract kits) and using non traditional kitchen devices for home brew enhancements.

Then I need to work out quantities and times I guess.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

My sister has one of these Thermomixes, and I've had a bit of a look at it.

I reckon you could fit about 0.5 - 1.0 kg of grain in the inner basket, with about 3 lt of water in the main chamber, enough so all the grain is covered in water.

Pre-heat the water to your mini-mash temp, then put the basket full of crushed grain into the Thermomix, and get it to sit at 65 for an hour, with the rotor on lowest speed.

Then pull the basket and the grains out, and ramp the temperature up to boiling for at least 10 - 15 mins to sanitise.

Tip the boiled liquor on top of your Coopers kit.

Give it a try, and let us know how you get along. Could be an awesome technique for people wanting to try out really, really small batches.

RedSproket said:
Hi manticle I missed your reply as I am still learning how to use this forum. Sorry for the delay.

This sounds interesting and promising. The device can also boil at 100° so that helps with the sterility and mashing side of things.

So I guess what I'm trying to do is to add 1 to 2 lt. of either mash or a steeped liquid to the regular Coopers kit. (I am trying out the terminology.)

Where could I look for more information on this sort of subject? At the moment is a little bit of chicken and egg as I need to get the right terms to be able to search the correct areas.

It is a bit of a crossover between straight up and down home brewing (enhancing extract kits) and using non traditional kitchen devices for home brew enhancements.

Then I need to work out quantities and times I guess.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.
Look up:
partial mash brewing
Mini mash
Stovetop brewing
Extract brewing with specialty grain
Steeping grain
Mashing grain

Should give you some basics.

I used mine last night to pasturise the gelatin for the first time!

just boiled up some water and span it around for a while to help, errr...reduce thermofoodgrime, dumped it out and set it to 70c/80c for 15 mins with my gelatine. seemed to work.

keg gelatined so I am going to give it a pour tonight to see how it went.

buckerooni said:
I used mine last night to pasturise the gelatin for the first time!

just boiled up some water and span it around for a while to help, errr...reduce thermofoodgrime, dumped it out and set it to 70c/80c for 15 mins with my gelatine. seemed to work.

keg gelatined so I am going to give it a pour tonight to see how it went.
I boiled the kettle, poured some boiling water into a stainless mug, waited ten minutes and stirred in some gelatine.

My wife has plans to buy a thermomix, might show her this thread and all the things i can use it for, that should save me a coupe of grand.

Back