Thermometers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish13

Reaction score
i just got my weldless thermometer and i am wondering if i should put it in the hlt or the mash tun?

i was going for the HLT to get the right temps for dough in and sparge but thinking for mash tun for strike temps and for mash out. with the hlt just use the stick thermometer i already have to get the right temps. dont bitch on about getting digital thermometers and stc-1000's. i dont need them its a simple setup.

my setup is 2x20l urns and a 15l or 20L mash tun depending on brew i put down.

If you could accurately calibrate the temperature-dial on your HLT-urn you might hardly need a thermometer for it.
But I usually find it easier to measure mash temperature so - given the constraints you have mentioned - I'd put it in the HLT if you can't calibrate the dial.

Most definatly in the mash tun, this is where you want to get the temp right, but you also need to know the temp of your strike water as well, bit of a catch 22

I agree with Wolfy. I know where to set my dial on the HLT to give me the approximate strike temp.
I'd rather have a temp probe on the mash tun so once you transfer from the HLT you can adjust with cold or hot water to get your strike temp spot on, then adjust it as you dough in if need be.

Having said that my temp dial is on my HLT but is there from when I did BIAB.

I have one in both, but if I could only have the one, I would have it in the HLT and check the mash temp with a hand held thermometer(which I do anyway).

I find a hand held more accurate at the start of the mash as I can check the temp at various points in the grain bed to make sure I get a good estimate of the overall mash temp. I only do single infusion at the moment, batch sparge and don't do a mash out.

Thanks guys. One of the urn's is a Birko unit and the other no idea. The Birko has temp dial and the other just has setting's. Thinking the Birko for HLT and the other for mash.

I'd say HLT unless you have a constantly recircing mash. Mash gets hot and cold spots and I don't find the dial thermometers to be particularly accurate.

Hot liquor will also get cold spots if you have an element that sits higher than the base so something to be aware of. HLT may also need a stir or recirc.

The plan is to get two brown pumps and use them to recirculate. Just checked one of the urn's is faulty. So i need to see a sparky about the short.

Back