Thermometers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rharlow

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question about thermometers, I'm new to all this but am thoroughly enjoying it and would like to tinker with my gear (just the basic starter kit atm) to satisfy my curious nature (and i'm bored and wont be able to get another brew on for a few days anyway). The kit at the moment has one of those stick on thermometers, I really dont like them it seems like a bit of guess work to me. What i was planning is as follows:

I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer the outdoor bit is attached by a 2m wire, I was planing on drilling a hole into the lid of the fermenter, putting a grommet in and then around the wire putting some food grade tubing wide enough to fit in the grommet and filling it with no more gaps, the probe would dangle approximately halfway down the barrel to the middle of the brew and would give me a reasonable indication of temperature of the brew as well as outside temperature.

Any thoughts? I read a much older post before about a different but was along the lines of if it aint broke dont fix it...

cheers

I have a indoor out door thermometer But I just use a old lid rubber ring to hold it to the side of the fermenter.

KISS.

Dangling stuff in your beer is asking for a infection. More holes, no more gaps, etc is upping your % of crappy tasting beer.

The stick ons are ok and a guide only. Try a tub of water, place fermenter in there and measure the water in the tub. Use pet bottles with frozen water to chill down the water.

Get a fermenting fridge. No more guessing.

imo take a temperature reading when you take a hydrometer sample.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Cube: I agree with the risk of infection, thats why i was going to put it through a grommet to make it removable and for ease of sanitation but yes the term KISS did cross my mind and the fridge is definately my next venture, its more an issue of space at the moment but will get that sorted asap. Right now i'm doing exactly as you say with the tub of water and measuring from there

Rina: I'm assuming you mean take the temperature why doing a hydrometer sample using the thermometer I was talking about to adjust the reading

Latest posts

Back