Thermometers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
Hi There,

I am looking for a thermometer that will be useful for working out fridge temperatures and mashing temperatures ( when I do finally start mashing, of course). Pretty much, an all round thermometer.

I bought an indoor/outdoor one on Thursday, and it's telling me that temperature of my fridge is 15.8 degrees. I think that it might be faulty.

Also, can you put those probe thermometers inside the fridge?

Cheers,
Jase.

Jase,

I got a temp. reading Digital Multimeter from Jaycar.

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?...eMax=&SUBCATID=

If you buy the probe as well (about $12) they work pretty well for anything. My only complaint is that the probe is not long enough to go all the way to the bottom of my mashtun (38 litre igloo cooler)

Don't bother with the thermocouple supplied with this multimeter. Basically it's crap. The probe is better,

Warren -

Jase, HBSs have 0-100C alcohol filled thermometers for under $20. Check them with the temperature of ice melting in a glass (0C) and with water at the boil (100C) (but not one right after the other - thermal shock is bad:)). They are nice and long, too which means you should be able to stick the bulb as deeply into your mash as you like.

Only problem with the spirit filled buggers is I'd like a dollar (or a new thermometer :p ) for every time I've busted one on a brew day.

I had a bad habit of leaving mine out of it's case and always putting something heavier... read my foot on top of it. :(

Also found them frustrating with the time they took to reach the correct temperature. Digital one worked out a good investment because I've had it for about 3 trouble-free years now (touch wood). About the same time it'd take me to bust about 3 spirit ones.

But yep, the spirit ones work well alright.

Warren

I got mine from Dick Smith in the city for $30. Part No. Q1452. Digital and water resistant. Wasnt too sure about this purchase till I went to the IBU BBD and saw 3-4 of them in action and the owners swearing by them(not saying "This f%@king thermometer!!")

I use digital therometers in my work , therefore I have used one as well for my brew.
Great for water temperture , the only problem with measuring a mash temperture is it will read the top of the mash only , it will only see the top , not 25mm into the mash , let alone in the middle or bottom.
Because of this you will aways get a much higher reading than what is happening in the true guts of your mash.

Because of this I have a therometer from ibrew , only $25 , probe is in the middle of the tun , works a treat

http://www.ibrew.com.au/html/equipment/beerequipmentset.html

Back to handheld digital therometers , great for fridge , temperture controlled fermenters etc
Sorta need both hey ?

Please correct all spelling in above post to thermometers :unsure: getting old ?

And the ibrew do come with batteries

If you order from this guy be ready for a chat !

Makes you ears bleed

I got mine from the LHBS but have since found out I could buy direct from here ref RAFT for $50. Nice little unit and works well for sticking the probe in my eskie with the lid on and I can leave it all through the mash. It has alarms for max/min temps and the SS probe can be completely submerged if required. Good for also taking quick temps whilst I do a hydrometer reading etc. Trouble free service for over a year now.

These guys do a few other interesting products and some cheaper digital probes.

Hmmm. Probes, eh? The only electronic one I've tried is a thermocouple on my DMM. Waste of time. The thing is at least 5C out across the range, but not consistently 5C, and not in a consistent direction even. Just always wrong.

I might have to get a decent electronic one when I get the big mash tun in action. For now I'm happy with a 15 year old alcohol thermometer.

Batz said:
Because of this I have a therometer from ibrew , only $25 , probe is in the middle of the tun , works a treat

Hi Batz,

Have you tried checking your fridge temperature with this thermometer?

Jase.

No the probe is now siliconed into my mash tun

I use the same thermometer as Batz... a top little unit - very versatile. The first couple of times I used it in the mash I was fixated with it. I don't think I've ever monitored the mash temp so much.

For the fridge, I just use a cheap $5 dial type that's available at most department stores. It hangs inside the fridge or sits on a shelf.

Regards
Steve

SteveSA said:
For the fridge, I just use a cheap $5 dial type that's available at most department stores. It hangs inside the fridge or sits on a shelf.

I may have to go and check out somewhere like BigW......

Jase

Jase said:
SteveSA said:

I may have to go and check out somewhere like BigW......

Jase

Went to Big W yestersday and bought a dial type for about $6. Works well in the fridge. But also worked out that I will be unable to brew pilseners in fridge. The warmest temperature is around 2 to 4 degrees, and the coldest is about -6 degrees. Fridge perfect for CC, but not primary fermentation.

Thanks for all your help fellas.

Cheers,
Jase

Jase, just turn it off. Have a play with a timered switch and make it turn on for 15mins every hour or two and see how you go. Your unlikely to get a fridge to sit at 10C on its warmest setting just using the internal thermostat. With a proper thermostat you'd be surprised how little they actually turn on anyway. So it's worth having a play with a timered switch to see what you can get.

Just a thought.

Justin

A couple of points to add to for calibrating your thermometer.

Boiling point changes. Is lower for higher elevations above sea level. Dissolved salts will change boiling point.

You can calibrate your thermometer against a more accurate one. The digital thermometers sold for medical purposes are very accurate around 40 deg C. Mine is +\- 0.1 degree.

Aldi have them for under $10 on their recent flyer.

I picked up the digital thermometer warrenlw63 was talking about from Jaycar yesterday for $40.
Used it yesterday, and seemed to be very good. easy to read etc.

Thanks for the advice!

dougy

Dougy,

Did you also buy the probe,

The reason why I ask this is because the thermocouple that they provide you with is not really up to the task. However combine this with the probe they sell separately you get a pretty good setup.

My only complaint is that the probe is probably not long enough to take a good temp reading in your mash.

Warren -

DaveR said:
I have borrowed one of these for a brewday daveR and as much fun things they are you can't read a mash temp with them because they only read the temp of the top of the mash which will either be some foam or if there is clear water on top of the mash it will read only the top of the mash bed.

Here's a little tease, this is my temp controller.
I had it custom made for the grand total of zero dollars but to buy such a thing would set you back around $1500.

CONTROL.JPG

Back