Thermometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbetland

Reaction score
So I have done about 20 BIABs. Most of them have been great. I brewed a Kolsch recently and it turned out very dry. Anyway after talking to my local HBS I think it may be my thermometer letting me down. Just wondering what everyone uses. I have heard thermapens are very good. But big $.Cheers

So I have done about 20 BIABs. Most of them have been great. I brewed a Kolsch recently and it turned out very dry. Anyway after talking to my local HBS I think it may be my thermometer letting me down. Just wondering what everyone uses. I have heard thermapens are very good. But big $.Cheers

I've got one of these thermometers $15 posted, and checked it against the main one in the lab where I used to work. It was accurate and now use it to calibrate all my controllers.

Remember with experience you can apply an offset to the temp. ie if all your beers are dry try pushing it 2 degrees hotter and see how you go.

QldKev

Glass stick with the Stainless Sheath so I do not break it. Ask around and see if you can find one in OZ.

Make sure you know how far to put it in. Should have a line on it to let you know how deep to dip it. Test it at boiling and in ice bath. If it is off it will stay the same and you can google how to do a chart to tell what temp it is. I believe it is calibrating.

Also I beleive they need to be stored upright. Something about the keeping the goo in the right place.

Had a dial and will neve rhave one again for brewing. Electric is ok if you pay for one that is suitalbe for us in liquid. If not they can get wet in the probe and go wonky.

I've got one of these thermometers $15 posted, and checked it against the main one in the lab where I used to work. It was accurate and now use it to calibrate all my controllers.

Remember with experience you can apply an offset to the temp. ie if all your beers are dry try pushing it 2 degrees hotter and see how you go.

QldKev

+1 the same as QldKev,my keggle also has a dial thermometer,this is still used as a rough indicator (it was installed years ago) but the stick model is used for an accurate measure.
i found mine in the hardware shop,look in the preserving section.....cheers............spog.........

Latest posts

Back