Thermometer Woes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobW

The Little Abbotsford Craftbrewery
Reaction score
Somehow I have managed to get a bubble in the alcohol column of my thermometer. I've tried all the simple things - heating, cooling, swinging it around on a piece of swing & cussing - but no luck. Anybody have a technique for joining the column up again?

I've got this problem too with a mercury one. I have no idea also how to remove it. I told a science head teacher mate and he's never heard of this before

Will

I suspect you might have a leak in your thermometers.

Jovial Monk

Rob,

I had a wall thermometer in the garage with the same problem. Couldn't get rid of the bubble, however the temp readings always still seemed to be accurate.

Is it your mash thermometer, ie the dreaded glass ones?

Warren -

Surely with a mercury thermometer you could use a magnet to bring the mercury all back together ?

Beers,
Doc

warrenlw63 said:
Rob,

I had a wall thermometer in the garage with the same problem. Couldn't get rid of the bubble, however the temp readings always still seemed to be accurate.

Is it your mash thermometer, ie the dreaded glass ones?

Warren -
[post="52778"][/post]​

Yep that's the one. Maybe time to get a digital one with a probe.

I saw this in some cheap spirit filled thermometers. To get rid of it, I repeatedly tapped the base of the thermometer sharply onto something that would cushion it, like a folded newspaper or the palm of your hand.

One of the thermometers developed stress cracks in the bulb. The others came good.

If you could get the thermometer cold enough, and hold it upright, all the mercury or spirit should end up in the bulb.

I use a Digital Multimeter with a 100mm probe. Works well but not really deep enough for a mash. I keep this more to measure fridge temps. for fermentation.

One good idea is to go to a kitchen supply store and pick up a milk frothing thermometer it has a 200mm probe and a dial thermometer on the top. There's a good kitchen supply store opposite the Sth. Melbourne Market. Cost is about $10

The good thing about a lot of milk thermometers is that they have a highlighted area that spans 65-75c. Perfect for mashing.

What I do with mine is push it through a plastic lid so the dial doesn't get covered by the mash liquid. Then I just sit it on top of the mash.

Still doesn't really have a deep enough probe for a 38 litre round Igloo cooler but it's adequate enough providing the mash is mixed uniformly.

This is not my one but it'll help you get the idea.

Warren -

image23.gif

That big round thing in the corner called a BIN. Chuck it in that and get a new one?
Just a thought.

warrenlw63

just picked up 1 of those style thermometers today $13.65 5c increments but that should be ok in my esky I think. just need a few mor bits and a grain supplier in north Qld and I'll be able to try my first partial mash

Well I finally fixed it by putting the bulb into the gas jet on the stove (very carefully and fairly high over the flame cos the thermo doesn't quite go up to 700C) and when the column got just to the top - 110C - the segments joined up. I left it stand vertical while it cooled down & now it's back to normal (until the next time?) :party:

Cheers just did what you posted and worked like you said

Thanks

Will

Hi,

A little off subject, but this is what I have used since I started mashing and I find them very good.
I have checked its accuracy and it is spot on.
They are easy to fit into an esky - just drill a hole and poke the probe in wherever you want it.

I got mine from here,
http://www.ibrew.com.au/html/equipment/beerequipmentset.html

Cheers

digitaltherm.jpg

I should also add that the above units have a timer that can be set for hop additions during the boil.
Cheers

Doc said:
Surely with a mercury thermometer you could use a magnet to bring the mercury all back together ?
[post="52786"][/post]​
Doc it aint April 1 anymore.

And just for the record - my "old fashioned" thermometers work just fine.

Latest posts

Back