Thermometer - Which To Get....or Avoid.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einnebcj

Reaction score
Hi all.
Typed in food thermometer on eBay and it came up with a squillion varieties ranging from a few dollars up. I was thinking of going for a digital. Any recommended......or to steer clear of?
Chris

Hi all.
Typed in food thermometer on eBay and it came up with a squillion varieties ranging from a few dollars up. I was thinking of going for a digital. Any recommended......or to steer clear of?
Chris

What do you want to measure?
Where in your process would you use it?

i bought one of those cheap digital ones from ebay, about $3-4 IIRC...

Then we had a bulk buy of hospital grade glass thermometers...

Ive compared and there is a pretty significant difference... and i trust the glass one...

(dont quote me but it was around 5-6.C difference... a lot when it comes to mash temp!)

i bought one of those cheap digital ones from ebay, about $3-4 IIRC...

Then we had a bulk buy of hospital grade glass thermometers...

Ive compared and there is a pretty significant difference... and i trust the glass one...

(dont quote me but it was around 5-6.C difference... a lot when it comes to mash temp!)

Hmmmm, that's a worry.
Yes. Looking at it for mash temp.......

ooh yeah, i need a decent one for mashing too, any other suggestions?

(not meaning to thread hijack sorry einnebcj, just am in the same boat as you) :)

These are the ones we bought through a BB on the adelaide forum:

http://www.livingstone.com.au/?PG=search_r...ometers%20glass

They are the first one "LIV LAB THM -10/110c.1.0c RED"

Box of 10 is $33... so find some mates or others on here in your area and go for it! Delivered is about $4 each!

Our bulk buy started out as one person, ended up with 40 IIRC :-D

Edit: might help to put your location in? I personally have 1 or 2 spare. (i dont like being left out of BB's ;))

I like having at least 2 for brewing purposes.

First one is the calibration thermometer. Find a decent glass one and it gets kept stored away for most the time. It only gets dragged out when you get a new temp controller, other thermometer or when you want to re-check the brewery gear.

Second one is a stc-1000. Even if you are not initially using it to control anything. Even when I BIAB I used it as you can drop the probe directly into whatever you want to measure. The display is easily read from a long distance, so as the strike water is coming up to temp and you are measuring/milling the grain you can keep an eye on it without running over to it.

QldKev

Latest posts

Back