Thermometer ? What Kind, Where To Get It Etc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3taL

Reaction score
I am in need of a thermometer, Mainly for when i do a Partial/extract so somthing to check water temps for Steeping grains etc.....

I like the idea of a Digital one with a probe on a lead but would like to know what others use and where they got them

Cheers

a dial thermometer will work well for that purpose, and later on you can install it in an esky, or brewpot, etc. Most homebrew shops sell them. See sponsors of this website.

Be a bit careful should you decide on the cheap digital ones with the long probe seen on EBay etc, I bought one from a reputable homeware dealer in our shopping centre and it lasted half a brew, I took it back and the shopowner told me that it was the third one he had returned. :(

Be a bit careful should you decide on the cheap digital ones with the long probe seen on EBay etc, I bought one from a reputable homeware dealer in our shopping centre and it lasted half a brew, I took it back and the shopowner told me that it was the third one he had returned. :(

I used to be into aquaponics an aquariums I know how the cheap shit ones pan out. That's why I put it out there... I've seen some barista styles being used in tube vids, I'm thinking about buying a brew pot soon so I might put a dial one in that and get a barista style dial one for checking steeping temps n stuff

I got my digital one from Cedar Hospitality in Brunswick. Doesn't have a lead. Works a treat.

I've just got a glass one from the LHBS - about $20. Compared it with two other thermometers (both digital and glass) and all three are with in 1C from each other.

Haven't calibrated it yet with boiling water or ice, will do this before I do my next brew tomorrow...if I remember. The fact that three different ones are pretty much identical does give me some confidence.

I am in need of a thermometer, Mainly for when i do a Partial/extract so somthing to check water temps for Steeping grains etc.....

I like the idea of a Digital one with a probe on a lead but would like to know what others use and where they got them

Cheers

Have a search for stc-1000 on here, you will find info and wiring details. I used one for my BIAB for ages. Basically it's a temp controller, but you don't have to control anything with it. The rubber probe can be dropped straight into the pot, and you have a digital temperature display at all times. It's good for up to 99c. As a bonus if you ever need to temp control a fermenting fridge or anything else, you've also got the part on hand. Also if you should ever go to the next level of brewing it comes in very handy, mine became the HLT controller.

QldKev

I use a weber style BBQ wireless thermometer for mashing, checked it against 2 other digital thermo's and if they are inaccurate at least they are all out by the same amount lol.
It has a probe which sits in the pot, with the lead tied around pot handle to keep the probe in place (braided wire lead Dosen't like being submerged) the sender sits on the gas bottle, the receiver can be carried around (on your belt if you're that way inclined :p ) has a range of 50m or so and has preset selectable alarm points (rare, medium, well for different meats) which don't correspond exactly to common mash points but are close enough to work with.
Was looking at fixing a dial thermo to the pot but was worried about fouling the bag (snag in a bag?) When stirring and lifting, and using this gives me constant readings without having to unwrap the blanket all the time to check.
Another benefit I found is I can add heat halfway through the mash, or even do a full step mash, without having to hold a thermometer in one hand and stir with the other, and not overshoot temps.
All this for around $50, and you can use it to cook a perfect roast pork at no extra charge... Once the boil's started of course! :D

Back