Thermapen cheaper in UK than USA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
HI folks,

It took me a long while to realise you could buy thermapens and chefalarms etc from thermapen.co.uk which seems to be the thermapen manufacturer's site, and a lot cheaper than thermoworks.com, or Australian sellers. Eg. US$70 for the latest thermapen 4 rather than $99. That's cheaper than the US Open box sales. Postage is also about half the price.

They have Classic thermapens on sale for a lot less too.

Thought this might help someone else. Hopefully I haven't missed anything :)

Cheers,
B

Edit: you can also get the 12" chefalarm probe by finding the penetration probe, which then gives you the option to select a 305mm version.

Edit: It did say the order would be referred to Ross Brown Sales while I was completing the registration page with my Australian address, but then gave me the checkout page, and UPS 15 pounds postage, and accepted my Paypal order. I guess it might come from Ross brown still, but that's ok with me.

Finally, the prices drop when you enter an Australian address, presumably because VAT is not being paid.

Last edited:
And how does this work? They dont deliver to aus.

Yeah I just tried to order one and when you select Australia, it says the order will be referred to the Australian supplier, Ross Brown Sales, for completion. I've found the Lavatools Javelin to be a better price.

What about shop mate does that work in the UK

The manufacturer periodically sells cosmetic seconds via their eBay page, for something around $50AU all up, including shipping. Unfortunately I'm having trouble finding it.

My Thermapen is among my best ever purchases. Fully recommended.

Please excuse my naivety, but what makes these so great?

The manufacturer periodically sells cosmetic seconds via their eBay page, for something around $50AU all up, including shipping. Unfortunately I'm having trouble finding it.

Thats what I got for $60 recalibrated with certificate
I also recon its one of my best purchases

+1. Same, a cosmetic 2nd for $~50(?).
One of the best purchases I've made.
And one of the most important ones - obviously for the mash, but so many elements of the entire brewing process are temperature dependent.
If you're trying to refine your process, you MUST be able to accurately measure temperature. These things are calibrated and very accurate within a few seconds.

+1
I got 2 reco ones off ebay for $50. Apart from the regular brew process i love it for checking the temp of hydro readings.

Yeah I just tried to order one and when you select Australia, it says the order will be referred to the Australian supplier, Ross Brown Sales, for completion. .

It did say that while I was completing the registration page, but then gave me the checkout page with my Australian address, and ups 15 pounds postage, and accepted my Paypal order. I guess it might come from Ross brown still, but that's ok with me.

Re another post, the thermapen 3 for 30 quid plus postage is ok, but knowing me I needed the fully waterproof mk 4 :) that's 54 quid plus 15 quid postage from the uk shop.

What is a benchmark thermometer? I want one. A proper true reading at 20 to70c.

Depends what accuracy you require. Obviously the display may go to .1 degree, but what is the accuracy? The Thermapen 3 and 4 are accurate to .4 degrees C in that range. I don't think you're going to find better than that at its price point, based on the sensor technology.

That said, for .5 degrees C accuracy, but can't sense above 150 degrees, I did consider: http://www.thermoworks.com/RT600C for US$19. I would need above 150 degrees to be on the safe side for candi sugar making though.

The American site does sell a US$200 version which goes to .07 degree, and display goes to .01, which uses a different sensor.

Last edited:
Watching with interest. Will join the thermapen cult on the next opportunity

Got a personal email from thermapen.co.uk accepting my order and saying dispatch would occur shortly.

Back