Thermal Shock Of Enzymes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
hi brewers
just reading through palmers book and have come across a bit where he says to add the mash water to the grains to avoid thermal shock to the enzymes.now dont get me wrong but i thought and have always added the grain to the water not the water to the grain.
have we a right or wrong way to do this or is it open to discussion.
any thoughts appreciated on this one . ;)

cheers
big d

i allways underlet the mash water into the mash tun that is full of grains...

No probs so far...

Hope this helps - ken...

big d said:
have come across a bit where he says to add the mash water to the grains to avoid thermal shock to the enzymes.
Hi Big D

The problem is that the enzymes can be denatured by the temperature of the mash liquor. My mash liquor never exceeds 73C which is the around the point where the enzymes are denatured rapidly, but as the temperature drops within two minutes to mash temperature when I add the grain, I don't worry about it.

GMK's way is good if your setup permits.

Cheers
Pedro

I guess there's two points, the hotter the liquid the grains are exposed to the more tannin extraction you get, and the more enzymes are denatured. I wouldn't worry too much about denaturing a few enzymes, as there's still plenty of enzymatic activity there. I mean decoction mashers regularly kill off large amounts of enzyme activity by boiling, and they still get full conversion. In any case, your mash water is only going to be what, about 8-10C higher than what you want, so I don't think it's going to make much difference whichever way you do it. :)

thanks for the help guys.can you explain underletting ken or someone else.i think i no what you mean but am not 100% sure.

cheers
big d

Hi Big d

Underletting is when you introduce your strike water through the drain tap of the mash tun and fill the tun with the grain allready in it to the required amount from the bottom.
I use this method and find it very easy to do.
There was much discussion on this subject some time ago with the general consensus of the people contributing that you should add the grain to the water not the water to the grain but I really can't see the difference.
The reason why I underlet is that I don't get any dough balls and you dont have to stir the crap out of the mash to ensure that no dough balls are present.
What I find is that when the water just gets to the top of the grainbed, a gentle stir is all that is required and this ensures uniform mixing and heat distribution.
Like most subjects on brewing there is allways multiple answers so just do it the way that you are happy with.
I hope this helps

Cheers

I haven't tried underletting before but now that my HLT has moved out to the garage with everything else I am set to give it a try.

As for the method I use, all the grain goes in, followed by the water then stir it up real well. Dough balls form but they are easily delt with IMHO. All the stirring does cut into the drinking time a few minutes though.

thanks dicko.
im doing a brew tomorrow so may give this way a try for something different.
im the opposite sos i add the mash water then the grain.as long as we are happy with the end result then im sure there is no hard and fast way.

cheers
big d

Big d,
Let us know how you go and what you think of that method.
I personally find it is a lot easier.
Cheers

no worries dicko.im setting up everything tonight for tomorrows brewday.

cheers
big d

Latest posts

Back