There's two types of Pin lock disconnects?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBrewer

Reaction score
disconects 2.jpg disconects.jpg View attachment 113854 View attachment 113855 Hello people of AHB,
just been getting a keg set up together for a while slowly buying parts and i decided to go for stainless pin lock disconnects because I heard the plastic ones can break easily. Anyway the stainless pin lock fittings seem to be too big to fit on my keg?
I was not aware of the two different sizes of disconnect, does anyone know of a way to make these fit well onto the standard pin lock keg posts (like an adapter) or should i just cut my losses on the stainless and buy some plastic ones?
CheersView attachment 113854 View attachment 113855

Those are pinlocks for commercial systems used in pubs
not for cornies

Those are pinlocks for commercial systems used in pubs
not for cornies
Yeah I thought that might have been the case, so there's nothing I can really do in the way of an adaptor?
Just try send them back and go for the plastic ones?

I've had 5 of the smaller diameter post pinlock kegs for 25 years or so. I bought 4 more online a few years back and when they arrived, the first thing I noticed was the larger post diameter, so my disconnects weren't going to fit them.
I bought 2 sets of the larger diameter plastic ones and attached them to my beer & gas lines with a "y" adapter - so each beer & gas line now has the smaller stainless disconnect, plus the larger plastic one.
I haven't had any trouble with the new plastic ones, though I make sure to treat them pretty carefully. They are German made, so whether that counts for anything, I'm not sure.

There are actually Three commonly available pinlock fittings around Australia.
1/ the above commercial, called variations on Pinline, Pinvalve…. (see link to Andale)
2/ the old Australian standard made by Turret, these all have a 1/2" BSP male thread on the keg posts/plug (see turret, following. They are usually called Bayonet, 2 pins on the Gas/in post, 3 pins on the Beer/out post.
3/ the American imported kegs, whether Cornelius, Firestone or Spartanburg. these all have Female threads on the keg post.

The Australian ones look like this
upload_2018-10-18_18-59-1.png
upload_2018-10-18_18-59-47.png

The American ones look like this
upload_2018-10-18_19-3-1.png
upload_2018-10-18_19-3-36.png

And I personally despise the MF'er who started importing secondhand American pinlock kegs - caused all sorts of confusion.
Mark

It would be nice if they made everything the same haha, guess I should have gone for the ball lock to save the confusion, cheers for all your help guys

So one last question, My kegs have the Australian one and the plastic pin lock disconnects that are for the american one are unlikely to fit it? if not does anyone know where i can get the stainless Australian one cause i cant seem to find it anywhere,
cheers

Back